Chapter 37 - Struggling Feelings

Start from the beginning

Serena opened her mouth to interrupt, but Grace stopped her, placing her hand on her arm.

"I didn't give you the support you needed. Now if I tried to tell you that I'd miss my races for your performances, I'm sure your stubbornness would've told me not to," Grace said offhandedly, the both of them sharing a small chuckle. "I wasn't the best. There are things I've done when you were young, such as underestimate you in your dream. I shouldn't have drove you to do things you didn't want to do and I should've treated you better. The only question is... do you forgive me?"

There wasn't anything Serena could say, but she did give a slight motion to her head, indicating Grace was forgiven. They created a short silence between each other, listening to the leaves brush and feel the breeze whip through them. Then her mother spoke.

"About that competition you told me about..." Grace began, smiling. "You said 'we' as in you and Ash. Are you two participating together? As partners?"

Serena nodded, looking away. "Yes, we are."

A look appeared on Grace's features as if she was hiding something. She rubbed the palms of her hands together. "I actually got you a new dress before you came. I know how much you adore fashion, so I hope it's up to your standards. It is designed by the famous fashion designer, Diantha, you've loved and admired so much since you were young."

"Mama—" Serena's eyes widened, her blue orbs searching her mother's matching ones. "You didn't have to."

"It's the least I could do, dear." Grace finally grinned, surprisingly looking calm as if she didn't most likely spend hundreds of dollars for a dress made by the Diantha. "I also ran out before dinner while you and Ash were busy in the guest house to get him a new suit to match. The both of you can try them on to make sure they fit right."

Serena felt her eyes get glassy, but she held back the amount of emotion she felt.

"I'm sure the both of you will do great." Grace's went on, her gaze softening. "You are your mother's daughter. Just make sure to—"

"—Go for broke, of course." Serena looked back at her mother with a small grin, finishing her sentence. "Yes, I will. Thank you, mama."

"That's my girl," Grace said proudly, pausing for a moment. There was a certain look in her eye that was confusing to Serena. "I know you've... supposedly made things clear before, but are you into that guy... Ash?"

Put off by her question, Serena answered quickly in a stutter. "Him... and I are just... friends. Nothing more," she said in a low whisper.

"I see," Grace said with a slow nodding. She took a breath, eyeing her thoroughly from her wandering eyes. "Serena, you don't have to lie to me." Grace exhaled quietly and Serena looked up at her hesitation. "I questioned your friend during dinner today because I saw the way he looked at you. He seemed... infatuated with you."

Serena lips twitched then she closed her eyes with a shake of her head. "You didn't have to put him in the spot like that," she reprimanded. "But things... are complicated. His roommate said he does have a thing for me, but—"

"And you to him," Grace said before she could continue. Serena opened her eyes widely. Grace's mouth opened and closed, unsure if she should speak up on something that wasn't her business, but deep down she wanted the best for her daughter, especially knowing what she knows. "You know I've gotten hurt from my past relationship and I know you've had your fair share of relationships in high school. But you also ended up hurt, dear. You weren't even fond of the idea of a relationship anymore. It's your life and I have no right to say anything, but I don't want that cycle to repeat."