Chapter 22 - Grounded

Start from the beginning

Fortunately, he felt exactly that way around his friends. And it was thanks to them that he looked forward to school every day. Not exactly the usual idea of a student, but this difference didn't bother him.

---

But what bothered him was that the one he wanted to see the most was absent from school. Kieran had texted him earlier in the morning that he wasn't feeling well and stayed home, and Evan briefly considered skipping school but eventually changed his mind. He didn't need another problem at home, although he missed his man.

Evan had to make it through the day without him. Luckily for him, he had friends with him who, for some reason, decided not to leave his side even for a minute.

"Okay, what's going on?" Evan stopped halfway to the locker. His usual party walked by his side, their steps matching his. Sometimes they exchanged a few words, but otherwise, they were unusually silent. Even Angie didn't dare tease him, and that was saying something.

"What do you mean?" Aiden spoke up first, addressing his confusion. He acted like nothing was wrong, but Evan knew that wasn't the case. All his friends looked a little too suspicious.

"Fess up. I promise I won't get mad," he said, adding after a moment, "much."

"Nothing's wrong, I promise," Angie spoke to him this time. One look at her was enough for Evan to know she wasn't being completely honest. He knew that wrinkling of the nose very well.

"Anyone else? Someone who doesn't spew bullshit?" He decided to give them one last chance before he decided to get seriously pissed.

"Oh, god. Just walk over to the locker and see for yourself. It's nothing bad, I promise." That was something he could trust. Josh's word was more trustworthy than Angie's. After all, only one of them would have pushed him in front of the bus for fun.

Without another word, he walked over to his locker and quickly turned the code to the lock. At first glance, he saw that something was different. The smell already suggested it. As they said, wolves relied on their sense of smell like nothing else, and Evan's locker didn't normally smell like flowers. Confused, he turned to his friends only to see them all grinning at him from ear to ear.

He opened the locker wide and immediately saw the originator of the smell. The inside of his locker played with all the colours thanks to the bouquet of flowers that were waiting for him there.

"What?" he muttered under his breath and carefully picked up a bouquet of various flowers. He recognized roses and tulips among them, but that was all. However, what caught Evan's attention the most were the black roses, which until today, he thought did not exist.

"He wanted to give it to you personally, but it didn't work out. Luckily, Angie knows how to break into your locker," Josh quickly answered all the unanswered questions running through Evan's head. Evan didn't know whether to cry or laugh. While he frowned all the way to school because he knew he wouldn't see Kieran, he gave him a surprise that left him speechless.

"Don't cry," Angie called to him, playfully patting his shoulder.

"I'm not crying!" he immediately defended himself and shook her hand off him.

"I would if someone did something like that for me," Lola admitted carefully reaching up to the flowers to stroke the petals. Evan had an irrational urge to pull them out of her reach. It was childish, just like the giggling that was going on inside his head. He just hoped his emotions weren't reflected in his cheeks, turning them maroon.

"I take it you like it?" Josh asked a pointless question as Evan's expression could tell practically everything. Just his smile indicated how he was feeling. Josh was proud of his best friend when he saw what his gift had done.

"I love it," he admitted. The girls squealed with delight and Angie even clapped. Evan couldn't stop the laughter from escaping him. He felt like he was in a romantic comedy and he couldn't mind less.

"If anything, you can leave it at my house." Angie leaned in and whispered in his ear. She knew very well that his parents would ask too many questions if they saw him with the bouquet and Evan thanked her for her quick thinking. With all that joy and thoughts of Kieran, he forgot about his strict parents, who liked to stick their noses where they didn't belong.

"Thanks," he replied simply. Even this fact, however, did not wipe the broad smile that settled on his face. He may have lost the perfect gift, but he still had the perfect lover.

"Don't forget to text him. I'm sure he's dying to hear from you," Aiden reminded him, and Evan immediately pulled his phone out of his pocket. Chat with Kieran was the first thing that appeared after unlocking the screen.

Three words lingered in the forefront of his mind, waiting to be spoken or at least written. Evan was surprised himself, not expecting to realize his feelings at this very moment. But he wasn't surprised that he felt that way. It was impossible to feel otherwise with Kieran. However, the words that would seal it had to wait.