Chapter 14 - Sulking

The mysterious forest does not seem to have the concept of time nor day and night. From the moment they had stepped in, nothing has changed. If not for the tiredness on their bodies and the mechanical watches, they would not have known how long they have been here. Now that the watch points to 6 pm, the team decides to find a good place to settle for the night.

Although, they have not encountered any dangerous other than the thick white fog that limits visibility, it is better to be cautious. Hence, they agree to set watch and switch after 2 hours in which it goes without the need to say who would partner up with who. The first shift would be Zhang Qiling and Wu Xie, follow by Hei Ye and Xiao Hua, then end with Fatty and the uncles. In fact, with Zhang Qiling and Hei Ye, both Wu Xie and Xiao Hua are not needed to help, but they refuse to listen and will accompany the former 2 to keep watch.

With everybody sleeping, there is only Zhang Qiling and Wu Xie sitting by the bon fire so Wu Xie can freely look at and chat with the other person without constraint.

"Xiao Ge ... when you were trap in the lab what do you normally do?" Wu Xie is curious with the expectation that Zhang Qiling would not be tested all the time ... but there is no guarantee that this hopeful thought is true. So, he asks while closely observing him. In case that the question pokes a sore spot or trigger any bad memories, he would dismiss it and change the topic to something else.

As usual, Zhang Qiling would retain his poker face, but his mind is thinking back to such time and ponders on it. Since he was a test subject, he would not be allowed to do anything much. Most of the time is spent either in the test lab or lying dead in his designated cell.

"Test ... and sleep." Zhang Qiling answers truthfully; however, not everything was disclosed.

During time of being tested, there would always be side effects from it. Sometimes the drugs given to him would induce excruciating pain deep in his bone and flesh. If he could bang his head on anything or bite his tongue to end his life, he would not even hesitate to do so. Unfortunately, he was tied to the bed which did not allow much movement and ball of cloth is stuffed to prevent him from biting anything. Some other times, he would be subjected to electrocution or submerge in some substance, it is rather comparable to the methods for torturing prisoner in the old days. After that he would be tossed back in the cell. With no energy, he could only lie there imitating a corpse with a wish that he could turn into one to lessen this suffering.

But all these do not need to be told to the innocent person who is blinking his doe eyes at him. Zhang Qiling wants to keep all these terrible things to himself and let Wu Xie's soul to maintain its purity.

'It is already in the past, why mention it to frighten him.' Zhang Qiling tells himself.

"R-really?" Wu Xie questions if it is possible. "Just that?"

"......" Zhang Qiling blinks.

'What's that blink supposed to mean? Seems that Xiao Ge still doesn't trust me much.' Wu Xie tells himself inwardly as he attempts to interpret the meaning behind Zhang Qiling's subtle response. 'Or is it that he doesn't want to talk about it? ... Well, it's not something pleasant to recall anyway.'

"What about now? Is there anything that you want to do?" Wu Xie moves the conversation to the present time.

'Something I want to do?' Zhang Qiling repeats the question again in his mind. Truth be told, he never had such thought. The idea of getting out of that place never crossed his mind. Based on the fate of those in the same facility, none has made it out alive. There are only 2 options. If one cannot tolerate, one die. If one could manage to survive, one would be kept for further testing, and it may not be long until reaching the first option. Leaving alive was not in the choice available for any of them.

Now that Zhang Qiling is out and face with the question of the future. He has no answer to give; hence, he blinks again.

"......" Wu Xie contemplates on the possible meaning. 'This blink is a bit different from the previous one ... it seems like he doesn't know?'

"You can take your time thinking ... we might be on this expedition for a long while so there's no rush." Wu Xie assumes that he has somewhat understood Zhang Qiling's response and provide the necessary guidance. "Then again, you don't really need to wait that long, as long as you can think of something you need to let me know."

"Why?" A rare response from Zhang Qiling because the question itself has one syllabus so there is no burden to ask it out loud.

"What do you mean why? Is the thing you want to do a secret? You don't want me to accompany you?" Wu Xie is stunned by Zhang Qiling's reply then feels aggrieved and even start mumbling in complaint. "Though we've known each other not that long ago, but haven't we been through thick and thin together?"

'Well ... that might be a bit exaggerated since I only saved him once, but that can still be considered thick and thin right? I even ignore the basic common sense where one must be vigilant to stranger!' Wu Xie continues to make a fuss inwardly on the things he has done and overlooked for the handsome stranger ... no, he meant for the pitiful stranger!

"Fine! Then don't tell me, I won't care whatever you do!" Wu Xie continues to fume as he declares his obliviousness of Zhang Qiling and turns away with a humph and even moves away ... a few inches. Despite, him pouting, he does not want to be too far away.

On the side, Zhang Qiling is puzzle at the situation. Judging from what he heard, Wu Xie no longer wants anything to do with him and each will just live their own without interfering the other. However, Zhang Qiling somehow sense another ... hidden implication? He feels that Wu Xie is throwing a tantrum that hints 'I'm feeling bitter, now you must compromise and ask for my forgiveness' which totally contradicts the words he just said.

So, which one should he follow?

After deliberating for half a minute, Zhang Qiling reaches for Wu Xie's shoulder and turns him back a bit. "I'll let you know." ... so, stop sulking.

"Really?" Wu Xie asks for another confirmation.

"Hmm." Zhang Qiling obediently replies.

Now that Wu Xie has gotten the response that he desires, he scoots back to his original place right beside Zhang Qiling.

'Good thing I made the right guess ... otherwise I might need to coax him the whole night.' Zhang Qiling comments on how he follows his intuition and easily pacify Wu Xie.

When the shift ends, Hei Ye and Xiao Hua come to take over the task while Zhang Qiling and Wu Xie head off to rest. Although, they lay out the sleeping bags, they did not sleep in it but rather on it. Because when wrapping oneself in a bundle in the middle of nowhere and if danger occurs, it would be no different from serving themselves as wraps on a plate.

Initially, Zhang Qiling thought that Wu Xie would only sleep next to him ... next in terms of by his side with some spacing since they are outside with others. Who would have thought that these factors have no impact as Wu Xie lays his sleeping bag right next ... no, some parts even overlapped one another, then the person attempts to cuddle into Zhang Qiling's embrace. It has only been a few nights together, but Wu Xie seems to have developed a habit of cuddling Zhang Qiling!

"No cuddle." Zhang Qiling stops Wu Xie and lays him properly on his sleeping bag.

"How come?" Wu Xie does not understand why he is being stop.

"Bring more meat for lao shi!" A roar erupts from nearby ... Fatty is probably dreaming of having hot pot.

With such a reminder right on cue, Wu Xie now remembers that they are out and about with other people.

"Fine." Wu Xie could only compromise at this time.

Although, cuddling is inconvenient, Wu Xie still tries his best to be as close to Zhang Qiling as possible which takes some tossing and turning before Wu Xie could reach a new comfortable position.

'Sighs ... am I addicted to cuddling Xiao Ge every night?' Wu Xie laments inwardly after many difficulties before finally falling asleep.

********************

A/N

Update and spilling some dog food!!!!!

Sorry for the delay (I got caught up in work related issues 😱)