"Little Miss Perfect has been too busy with her club to remember her friends," Adrian's sarcastic but slightly harsh voice cut through the air as I jolted. Staring at the clothed stomach in front of me for a long second I decided not to. There wasn't a reason to say anything.

         "I've been getting jerked around like a little dress-up doll!" I whined instead, burrowing my face into her further, tightening my grip around the black lizard that was getting near her limit. Her flicking tail keeping them at bay.

       "Is that why you changed your hair?" Alex asked, far more calm, reading on her bed as he had done mine not even a moon again. The question had Ari's hand pausing, her quill loudly snapping a moment later. I didn't bother to say anything while I waited, I expected for her to get mad, to shout.

         I was supposed to be here for her, I was supposed to help her get used to a new place, a new culture. But I disappeared. I left without a word. I wouldn't let her come to my room I wouldn't stop for her in the hall. I left her with the little I had given her and no explanation. But it was better that way. I didn't want her to see what my room has turned into, I didn't want her to catch the ever-watching attention of the Perfects, and I didn't regret it.

        She has Alex and Adrian. She isn't alone and I will only drag her down. Yet I still came here. Tightening my grip on her, the silence deafening, I continue to wait as the boys didn't dare say anything.

        Alex had gathered I wasn't going to so much as look at him when around others, not bothering to say anything unless we're alone. Only brush against me in the halls as if to remind me that he was there. He was smart, clever, he knows there's a reason why I'm avoiding them.

       Adrian... Has stopped trying after I made it clear I wasn't going to respond no matter how long he pestered me. The last time we had talked, he made sure I knew how much he'd have preferred it if I hadn't of become a Perfect. I had cried a fair bit that day.

         I was putting them in danger. Yet I couldn't help the selfish desire welling in my chest. I wanted to see my friends. I wanted to reassure them that I hadn't forgotten them. That I still loved them.

         "... Hryirk diay teriker?" She finally spoke, my heart catching in my throat, my grip tightening before loosening.

         "I-" Looking up at her, her gaze icy as she stared down at me from the corner of her eyes, I looked down. With a breath, I met that icy gaze once more. "I don't," I answered with a shake of my head. I had nothing to regret. It was selfish, it was cruel, but I don't regret my choice.

         "Humans are quite different, aren't they?" She said, her voice unwavering as she looked back to her desk.

         "Ari," Alex called warningly, words that could truely damage our relationship on the tip of her tongue.

          "I'm not the only one upset, don't act as if I'm being unfair," She shot him a glare, and since my knowing him, he backed down. His gaze dropping to his closed book.

         "I was wrong," I pressed, her gaze snapping back to me, a swirl of emotions hiding behind her anger.

        "But you don't regret it," She hissed, the forked tongue she hides out of embarrassment flicking so close I felt its warmth against my nose.

          "Not for a second," I didn't hesitate, my gaze unwavering. Her ridged pupils tightened further, showing off her golden eyes even more.

          "You are shameless," She stated, sneering, half bearing her fangs, as she pushed out of the chair, escaping from the opposite side I sat. Slowly getting to my feet as I watched her roughly throw open the door and swiftly leave, not even bothering to close it I looked to Adrian, who stood with his arms crossed.

         "Adrian-"

        "She's not wrong," He cut me off, following after her with a shake of the head, closing the door behind him with more force than necessary. Staring at my feet I dug my nails into my palms. I deserved it. I came here knowing it would happen. But why did it hurt so much?

          "Alex I-" My voice cracked as I looked at him, he stayed where he was, staring at his linked finger with his book beside him. "I'm trying, I'm trying so hard, I- I just-"

        "Lilith, I'm sure you have your reasons, you always do, but I can't. I can't keep defending you, you need to tell me why, or I... I'm going to storm out," He threatened with a sigh, not at all going to do so.

         "I can't," I shook my head, wiping my cheek free of the tears I wasn't bothering to hide.

         "Can't or won't?" He asked, his hands tightening around each other still not looking at me.

        "I-" Taking a breath I looked to the ceiling, his gaze snapping to me while I walked to the door. "I won't," I said softly, opening the door for him. He let out a long breath before laughing lightly and pushing himself to his feet. Grabbing his book he began his way to the door. His feet paused as he passed me.

          "I really wish you would trust me." Biting my lip I hid behind my braids but I did not stop him. He was a man of his word. I couldn't turn him into a lair.

        Taking a deep breath I straightened my back and squared my shoulders. Wiping my tears I stepped out, the door closing right behind me. Glancing at his broad back I turned on my heels and went down the other hall. It was my choice. I wasn't going to blame them for a choice I made.