18

Y/N POV 

Tuesday

This morning, I almost didn't want to go to school. But I decided that it would be even worse if I didn't show up so I think if I can go about my day with my head down, it should be fine. I can handle the rumors and the stares. This will all blow over soon. By the end of today, there will probably be something new to gossip about.

I get out of my car and as I start walking towards school, the one person I don't want to see walks out of their car at the same time, a few rows down. We lock eyes and a large grin takes up his face. He struts over to me like he just won a million dollars.

"Good morning," he says when he stops in front of me, effectively blocking my way toward the school's entrance.

"Get away from me."

He puts his hands up in defense. His face looks horrible. He has a black eye that's already a dark purple and his nose looks like it was realigned. "Easy, I'm just trying to say good morning. There's no reason to be so hostile."

"You attacked Megumi again and almost got him expelled. If you think I'm going to be friendly then you can go fuck yourself."

If anything, my retaliation makes him smile more. But it makes me want to keep going. "I can't believe I was with you for so long. You're a jerk and someday that's gonna catch up to you."

"Don't be such a whining child Y/N. You are a naive girl that'll go nowhere in life if you let Megumi fuck you. It's sad. Don't come crawling back to me when everything fails."

I take a step closer and stare him in the face, "what makes you think I would want to ever get back together after you called me all those things and made a fool out of yourself?"

Brett laughs. He laughs in my face. "Y/N, you're so adorable. I know because that's just who you are. You're the sweetheart that lives a fairy tale life. Everything always worked out for you when we were together and when you realize that, you'll return to me. So don't go being something you're not because everyone knows this is all you'll ever be."

Everyone knows this is all you'll ever be.

Something changes in me. It's not a snap but more like an overflowing cup, unable to contain the water anymore as it seeps over the cup and starts crashing onto the ground. Brett walks away, confidence in his stride, as if he did something special. As if he beat me.

To think I was ever with this person for so long makes my skin crawl. I hear a deep thrumming in my ear and realize it's my blood pumping, strong and sure.

I see Itadori out of the corner of my eye, walking with a bounce in his step. My legs move on their own; before I know it, I'm in front of him.

"Y/N!" Itadori says, before his eyes widen. "Are uhh... you okay?"

"Can I borrow this?" I ask, taking the handle of his baseball bat without waiting for his response and walking back to the parking lot. "Thanks."

I leave before Itadori can say anything. I look around the parking lot and after a second, I find what I'm looking for. I stride through the road on a mission. The parking lot is bustling with cars since there are still a few minutes before school starts.

Every nerve in my body tingles and when I get to Brett's bright red car, the only thing that goes through my head when I swing the bat back is which headlight I should hit first.

A deeply satisfying crunch sounds through the air, I hear someone yell in surprise from somewhere behind me but that doesn't stop me, not for a second. All that searing anger spills from my chest and runs down my arms to my hands connected to the bat. I swing the bat again and again, hitting the hood and the windshield until it looks like snowflakes are all over it.