1

Y/N POV

Monday

There are a lot of things I get anxious about. I can't help it. It's just how I am. Being late is one of those things... and the high school parking lot is another. So, when you combine the two, it creates one of my worst nightmares. High school parking lots on their own are stressful enough, with 16 to 18-year-olds zipping through the lanes, practically racing for a spot, you never know what you'll get.

Usually, I'm pretty good at driving. I mean, I passed the driver's test with no issues. I always look at my mirrors and make sure there is plenty of space between me and the car in front of me. I always check my blind spots before I change lanes. But all that work doesn't prepare you for the chaos of a school parking lot in the morning.

Brett always says I need to "keep my head on a swivel," which sure, works for football and can maybe translate to driving but sometimes you can't prepare when things come out of nowhere.

I was running a few minutes late. I stayed up later than I wanted because I was working on Kenzie's biology packet. When she came to me Friday at lunch, crying over how her mom would kill her if she didn't get a good grade, I could not say no. I tried to coerce her away, but Brett said it shouldn't be a big deal since it's one of my best subjects. He looked so proud of me at that moment, so I accepted.

When I turned down one of the parking lot lanes, my backpack almost fell off its spot in the passenger seat. I turned my head to catch it and stop it with my hand (it was only a second, I swear) and when I turned back to the parking lot, I slammed on the brakes with a shriek.

Two hands slammed on my car's hood and my gaze locked with dark eyes.

"What the fuck?" His voice is deep and scolding as his eyes stare angrily at me. I quickly roll down my window as he starts to walk away.

"I'm so sorry, Megumi," I call out to him, my face feeling hot.

He stops and turns back, a scowl on his features. "Watch where you're going next time, got it?"

"Right of course, sorry again," I sheepishly wave. He turns and continues to the front doors and with an internal scream, I continue down the lane. Almost committing murder is definitely not a good way to start the day. When I finally find a parking spot, I sit in the car for a few seconds, letting my heart and face cool down. I know I'm probably overthinking, but as I said earlier, the parking lot gives me anxiety... It's a war zone.

Suddenly, someone slams their hand hard on my window. I scream. Brett laughs his head off and when I grab my bag and get out of the car, he's practically doubled over.

"You should've seen your face," he says between wheezes. "Holy shit, did almost running over the mutt shake you up that much?"

I shove his arm, "Of course it did! I almost hit him!"

I sling my bag over my shoulders and walk away from him, my face burning again, of course he saw.

"Aww come on babe, I'm just messing with you." He says, wrapping an arm over my shoulder and planting a kiss on the side of my head. "What did I tell you about head on a swivel?"

"I know, Brett. It just happened so fast," I sigh. "Anyway, how're you?"

"I'm feeling great after our amazing night on Saturday," he smirks.

"Brett!" I whisper yell, smacking him lightly in the chest. "Don't say that so loud."

"What? I didn't, chillax. No one would know what I'm referring to anyway," he laughs, moving his arm to hold my waist instead.