Chapter 35 - Connection At Home

Start from the beginning

What just happened was nothing. It was something.
It was frustrating.

Serena knew she was giving Ash these signals and she didn't know how to take them herself. All he was doing was being a friend like she wanted. Instead, she had been falling into this dangerous territory and feeling these twisted, heavy knots in her stomach that made her swoon at the sight of his damn brown eyes. Her cheeks were burning red and she could feel sweat break out on her skin.

How the hell did it get hot in the middle of this season? Maybe there was a bug going around.

"Hey, mama," she greeted.

Without making it look like she ran a marathon, she tucked a loose strand behind her ear rather than wipe the drops of sweat that leaked from her forehead. Grace soon embraced her in a tight hug and she reciprocated just as strongly. Serena pinched her lips together to calm the inadequate feeling that played in her chest.

"I was hoping you would make it." Grace pulled away from her arms, looking her over. "I hope the drive was fine. I would've went to pick you up, but you're as stubborn as always. Wanting to do things for yourself."

Serena's smile was weak, but she recovered. "The drive was great. Well, we wanted to venture," she replied, taking a step back to place her hand on Ash's shoulder.

"Wonderful! We have a guest?" Grace's hand that was rested on her hip, gripped his hand, shaking it solidly. Her smile was genuine, but there was a hint of assessing within her eyes. "Who might this be?"

Ash shook it with the same conviction and energy as Grace. He could assume she was sizing him up, no less seeing if he was good enough for her daughter. He hid his smirk. "My name is Ash Ketchum. Nice to meet you, Ms. Yvonne."

"Ash, huh?" Grace looked over to her daughter with a raised brow, slowing the shake of her hand then letting go. "You must be the boy she talked about on the phone!"

Ash let go as well, turning to Serena with a grin. "And you talked about me to your mom?"

"Motherly instincts. It slipped out too." Serena rolled her eyes. "Don't let it get into your head."

Ash had to hold back his laugh and Grace watched the scene with a particular thought in mind, and warm look in her eyes.

"But, yes, mama—" Serena started to smooth her hand in a circular motion over Ash's back. It was a comforting gesture that seemed unintentional coming from her, but for him he was left troubled. Her spontaneous affections are starting to throw him off his guard.

Cupping her cheek from earlier felt natural. He was trying to stop her nerves and calm her down, but it seemed he went overboard with it. There was something Serena brought out in him that he had only seen a rare few occasions.

She was really going to be the death of him.

"—I decided to bring a friend, if that's okay?" Serena stressed, breaking Ash from his thoughts.

"It's great, dear." She laughed gently. "And Ash, please call me Grace."

Ash raised his eyebrows at that and held that assured grin. "Yes, ma'am."

"Either way," Grace continued, "it's good to meet you." She eyed him slowly, that assessing look still prevalent. She opened the door wider and waved them both in. "Come right on in."

The pair walked in the foyer, surveying their surroundings while Grace locked the door. The inside looked just as Ash's expected: the walls were an eggshell white with an nice touch on the decor. The living room to their left, had leather couches, a glass coffee and side tables. A fireplace already lit with a large dresser by it and sitting on that, was the TV.