Chapter 66: Roses

The person who used to be high and mighty in front of her had now become a sycophantic dog. It was something that could easily make someone vain.

Lounging on the soft sofa, many thoughts crossed Hua Jin's mind. Surprisingly, the most vivid memory was not her helplessness hiding in the cornfield or the humiliation she faced as a hotel attendant but the umbrella Pei Yan had held up for her when she was lying on the ground.

To reach this point for the sake of a woman?

Hearing those words, Hua Jin found it both absurd and amusing. At this stage, in the eyes of these high and mighty individuals, she was still just a woman, a symbol. Her only significance was that she had influenced Pei Yan's decisions.

Perhaps in the eyes of these people, ordinary people without status or position were no different from insignificant animals. However, this particular animal was somewhat annoying as it had managed to cause trouble for someone more powerful than them.

No wonder Xu Changhui, who had no regard for human life, was raised in such an environment. No wonder Xu Si resorted to bullying other classmates at school. It was the inherent arrogance of their family. In their eyes, ordinary people were not considered human.

"Very interesting," Hua Jin suddenly spoke up as the atmosphere in the room became increasingly awkward. "If I, as a woman, am considered an outsider, then what does that make all of you?"

Pei Yan frowned and said to Hua Jin, "Don't listen to their nonsense. I didn't mean it that way."

"I know you would never say such things," Hua Jin smiled and glanced at the two Xu brothers. "According to age, I should address both of you as uncles. But I guess neither of you would like that, so I won't make things difficult for each other. I have a question that has been buried in my heart for a long time. Can Mr. Xu Yi and Mr. Xu Qiang give me an answer?"

Xu Yi and Xu Qiang remained silent.

In this situation, not only did Pei Yan allow Hua Jin to interrupt at will, but he also clearly expressed his position in front of them. This already proved Hua Jin's position in Pei Yan's heart.

However, this conjecture was highly disadvantageous for the Xu family.

"It is the 21st century. Who gave you the courage to look down on ordinary people and elevate yourselves?" Hua Jin's smile slowly faded from her face. "Did you fail your elementary school ethics class, or is there something wrong with the minds of your entire family?"

"You..." Xu Qiang's face turned red with anger, but when he met Hua Jin's indifferent gaze, it was as if he had been doused with cold water, gradually calming down.

At this moment, he became acutely aware that as long as Hua Jin was present, Pei Yan would never let the Xu family off the hook.

"Uncles, please leave," Pei Yan said coldly. "We just arrived from out of town and need some rest."

Xu Qiang lowered his head and stopped speaking, while Xu Yi stared at Hua Jin for a long time. "Mr. Pei, my son has committed a serious mistake, and I am willing to let him face the legal consequences. The Xu family will not shield him in any way. Please supervise him, Mr. Pei, along with Miss Hua."

Hua Jin was stunned. Did this mean they were willing to abandon Xu Changhui to save the entire Xu family? If Xu Qiang had said this, she wouldn't have been so surprised, but it

was Xu Yi, Xu Changhui's biological father, who spoke.

Pei Yan sneered, "Xu Changhui has violated the law, and he deserves severe punishment, not conditions. As for how the Xu family handles its affairs, deal with it as you see fit. Don't bring it to me anymore."