To Give In

Just a few weeks later, Elia stood, grinning brightly as she watched Guinevere walk towards Arthur, dressed in a beautiful gown of blue.

The king and his true love would get their happily ever after after all.

She and a small party of elves had arrived just a few days before, wanting to fully enjoy the festivities. Elia had helped Gwen into her gown and prepare before taking her seat with Elidren. She finally felt as though she had returned to herself, overcome with joy for the couple.

Happy tears fell down her cheeks as she watched them pledge their love for each other and Guinevere was finally crowned queen. Once the ceremony had finished, Elia quickly made her way to the newlyweds.

"I wish you many years of happiness," she said, taking Guinevere's hands in her own.

The young woman smiled and pulled the elf queen into a hug. They had begun exchanging letters since Elia returned to The Willows and already a deep friendship was blooming.

"I only hope that you can find your own," Guinevere whispered into her ear.

Elia stepped back, maintaining her bright smile though there was a hint of sadness in her eyes.

"Some things are not meant to be."

"But sometimes they are," Guinevere countered softly, her eyes finding Merlin in the crowd. "If Arthur and I can find a way, surely you can too."

Elia followed Gwen's gaze, seeing Merlin next to Gaius. She then looked back at the new queen, worried what she would do if she looked too long.

"Best not to dwell," Elia said, forcing a smile.

Guinevere squeezed her hands again before letting them go and turning to Arthur. He smiled down at her in such a way that Elia could not help the tear that slid down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away, glancing at Elidren who was now speaking with some of Arthur's council.

It would not do to be the lone sad face at such a happy occasion.

Elidren watched on as Elia laughed, smiled, and danced throughout the feast

Elidren watched on as Elia laughed, smiled, and danced throughout the feast. While she appeared much more at ease than she had been before the battle to retake Camelot, there was still a lingering sadness in her eyes. More so now that they were back here.

His gaze swept through the large hall, only stopping when they landed upon the king's servant, who was seated with the knights. He found it out of character for Arthur to allow him this night off, but perhaps there was more to be seen there. But even though his attention was on whatever bawdy tale Gwaine was spinning, the warlock's eyes were always drawn to his cousin.

Elidren reached for his wine, taking a sip as he continued to watch and glean what he could. While Merlin's abilities were masked to all the mortals surrounding him, Elidren could clearly see the power flowing through his veins.