• | Chapter Seventy-Six | •

Start from the beginning

Several minutes had passed by the time Michael had pulled into the garage. He called Riley several times earlier to see if she wanted anything to eat, but he was sent to voicemail back to back. Letting out a sigh, he grabbed his briefcase and the bag of food before getting out of the car. After struggling, he finally unlocked the door and set everything on the kitchen counter.

"Ry?" He called out as he closed the door back shut. "I tried calling you, but you wouldn't pick up. I got some Mexican food."

He was answered with silence. Not a single sound of movement or background noise. He lowered his brows but brushed it off. He was sure the aroma of food would cause her to come in any second. After taking a few plastic containers out of the bag and placing them along the counter, he went to grab two plates from the cupboards. But he stopped in his tracks when it dawned on him that Riley had yet to show up and the house remained too quiet to his liking. This time, he grew worried.

"Baby?" He called, leaving the kitchen to cross over into the living room. At first he hoped that she was still sleeping, but then something white caught his attention. Without missing a beat, he snatched up the note before a sudden realization hit him in his gut.

Dear Michael,

Words can't describe how thankful I am for everything you've done for me since I first met you. I really wish I could return the favor, but I can't. I'm too far gone and damaged to pay back all your kindness. You deserve so much more, and I hope the next woman you find makes you happy beyond belief.

He stopped there and didn't even finish the rest of the note before he dropped it and ran upstairs in an attempt to find her. "Riley? If this is a joke, it isn't funny."

He checked the bathroom and the loft area and thoroughly searched the three guest bedrooms before walking back into the hallway empty-handed. He even checked the room she was forbidden from, but still nothing.

"Dammit, girl." He quickly pulled out his phone and dialed Tia's number as he went into his bedroom to continue his search. As soon as she picked up, he wasted no time. "We got a problem."

Tia pinched her eyebrows closely together whereas Michael was checking the walk-in closet and bathroom on the other end. The mirrors were still slightly fogged, and water droplets were still present on the panes of the shower glass. He figured not too much time had gone by since she was last here.

"What's wrong?" Tia excused herself from the middle of her colleagues' work gossip and stepped outside the break room. "Is it Riley?"

"She's missing, and I can't find her. She wrote me a note, and I have this feeling that she's 'bout to do something drastic." He left the bathroom and saw her phone lying on the nightstand, leaving him one less thing to track her with. "Shit."

Hearing this, Tia immediately grabbed her car keys and clocked out early for the day. She would just explain everything later to her boss as she was already out the door speed walking to her car. "I hope you're not suggesting what I think you are."

"I think so. Her phone is still here, but I can't find her anywhere in the house." Michael tried to stay calm, but he could feel his heart banging against his ribs in fear that he was too late and the tears were building fast. He couldn't lose her, not like this and not after everything they had gone through to get back together.

He hurried out of the room and back downstairs. He frantically searched but still couldn't find the woman who meant everything to him. "Dammit, I can't find her!"

"Keep looking. She's around somewhere. I'm on my way right now." She calmly spoke, though she was panicking as well. Thankfully her job wasn't too far from Michael's home.