𝖝𝖎𝖎. preparations and calculations

XII: Preparations and Calculations

Track Twelve: Phoenix, Big Red Machine

When Circe walked into the classroom the first thing she saw was a tower of precariously stacked books sitting on one of the empty desks in the corner. She seemed to have reached the abandoned room first, so she took the time to observe. The ceiling was covered in cobwebs and each of the desks' sat covered with a thick layer of dust, the room had obviously been in disuse for a number of years. She had just started making her way over to the large stack of books in the corner when a noise caught her attention.

"You're here early." Hermione cleared her throat, lifting herself out of her chair and her nose out of the book she was currently studying. Her large brown mass of hair was particularly frizzy today, Circe secretly admired her eccentric look. Her thick brown curls laid in disarray, framing her pale freckled face that speckled her skin. Her frazzled appearence was a direct contrast to her mind, which seemed to be neatly organized with the knowledge of hundreds of different topics.

"You know, I'm surprised you actually decided to show up, after the whole ordeal with Malfoy this morning."

Obviously, Circe knew what happened with Draco earlier that day, apparently, Potter had turned him into a ferret. Knowing Draco, he probably deserved it. Although, Circe did not appreciate the insinuation that she would ever side with Draco on a matter so trivial. She'd rarely had contact with him in their years since starting Hogwarts. The thought of being associated with his astronomically sized ego and bigotry made her feel repulsed.

"Ah and I didn't think you'd show up either, after the whole ordeal in the library earlier this week."

Hermione flushed and looked embarrassed at that, she hadn't realized Circe overheard her and Harry's spat. "Oh I hadn't realized you heard that" She looked down and began rearranging some of the books on the table, placing them in her arms.

"I brought some books for us to use, they may be helpful considering that the other champions have all had three more years of defense study than Harry. Most of them cover fifth-year spells and theory, which is good since they hold the most useful and common jinxes and hexes."  She hauled several large books into Circe's hands, whose eyes widened in surprise at the weight of the books. Hermione continued lifting up new books, sorting them into piles and loading them into Circe's waiting arms as she talked "If you haven't been able to tell yet, Harry is being awfully stubborn with all of this. He keeps insisting he can do it himself, but his head is too thick to acknowledge that the odds are all stacked against him." She sighed, shaking her head as she leaned against the desk nearest to them.

Hermione stood up suddenly, eyes lighting up. Circe quickly turned her head and noticed Harry standing in the doorway. Hermione immediately took charge and took one of the book stacks and plopped it quite harshly in Harry's arms.