𝖎: ashes still scorching

I: Ashes Still Scorching

Track One: Bambi, Clairo

  CIRCE BLACK still remembers the first time she transformed: How it felt to have her limbs on fire and screaming while being twisted into ash, then emerging as a small piece of the sun with feathers and talons. Every detail rested in her mind crystal clear.

  Aunt Andromeda had comforted her as she became human again, and that was the first time that Circe Black realized how doomed she truly was, always hurtling down the same path as her mother. The real tragedy is that nothing can be done to remove the curse firing it's way through her veins.

  She felt like a cigarette that's been put out as her exhausted body was caressed by the soft sheets that Uncle Ted had freshly washed. He knew his niece well, well enough to know that her transformations occurred when she was especially stressed, or emotionally turbulent, and the nights before leaving for Hogwarts were a cesspool of heightened emotions and fluttering anxiety.

  She was a girl named after a bewitching enchantress, fitting for the daughter of two people who weren't even friends, yet had found themselves ensnared, together long enough for Circe Black to be molded carefully by God himself. Too bad he had somehow tainted the clay.

  Tonks never knocked. It was a rule in the Tonks household: if you didn't want Nymphadora barging into the room as an unwelcome surprise, you locked the door.

  The hinges on Circe's door squeaked so loudly she winced, as Tonks rushed into the room, a whirlwind of pink hair and cheerful laughter. Her older cousin nearly tripped and fell over a stray book, cursing loudly, causing Circe to burst into laughter.

   "So, all packed?" Tonks questioned, flopping down next to Circe on the bed. "Nervous?"

"I've accidentally transformed three times in the last four hours."

  Tonks tilted her head to the side. "That bad? Like last summer our crazy uncle breaking out of Azkaban bad?"

  "Not quite- Merlin was that horrible, worse for you though. I was convinced I would come home to you as a pigeon given all the shit the Ministry put you through."

  Nymphadora shook her head and gave her little cousin a playful shove while stifling a giggle of her own "I'll have you know my Patronus is a jackrabbit, not a pigeon."

  "You never know Dora, my Patronus is different from my maledictus form, so there's no telling what yours could be" Circe teased.

  Circe and Dora paused as they heard a muffled yell from the kitchen, the scuffled wood steps creaking. Both cousins knew that Andromeda Tonks would have their heads for being late, especially since they were well known to lag behind everyone else due to their constant nonsensical bantering.