𝖝𝖎. the library

XI. THE LIBRARY

Track Eleven: Big Black Car, Gregory Alan Isakov 

   CIRCE SAT IN THE GREAT HALL bleary-eyed and cross with herself for staying up so late the night before. Her mood brightened when she spotted an owl swooping down overhead, it landed with a soft flop on top of her charms book from which she was diligently studying. Before opening the letter she immediately recognized the elegant penmanship gracing the cream envelope, her suspicions were correct when she turned it around and noticed the Malfoy family seal engraved on the letter.

She gently opened the folded-up parchment, grinning like a madman upon reading the contents.

Dear Circe Oriana,

I've gotten word that you're in need of a dress for the upcoming ball so I took it upon myself to notify the seamstress taking care of Draco's dress clothes that you'll be in need of something as well. We both know you wouldn't be caught dead at the ball in something your other Aunt had picked out. She inherited our father's fashion sense or rather lack thereof, it would be absolutely dreadful if our last remaining heir showed up poorly. Please send an owl with your current measurements as soon as possible, it is rather last minute.

I hope all is well.

Narcissa Malfoy.

She thanked the skies, merlin, God, and all things in between that Andromeda would not be sending her a dress. She couldn't bare it. Everything Andy had ever picked out for Circe to wear had looked absolutely awful on her and she couldn't have that for the biggest event of the year. She was grateful that Narcissa had thought of her, despite not having much contact over the years.

As Wallaburga grew senile in her old age she had forgotten Andromedas' disownment, so for the poor old woman's sanity, a few times a year Narcissa and Andromeda had to appear civil during family engagements. Both sisters felt an equal responsibility towards Circe, their last remaining heir. So the bond slowly repaired, at a distance. Narcissa no longer scorned Andromeda and Andromeda no longer held resentment towards Narcissa. Both sisters came to a mutual understanding that maybe for Circe's sake, nothing would be harmed if they got together to catch up a few times a year. Evidently, it was during one of these catchups that Narcissa spared Circe from whatever awful dress Andromeda had suggested be made for Circe. And Circe was eternally grateful for this divine intervention that took place at exactly the right time.

She quickly scribbled a reply, attaching it to the sleek black owl that smoothed its feathers and gracefully took off. She gushed to Emrys, exclaiming that she finally had prospects for a dress, which most people had ages ago. Circe of course, had procrastinated till the last minute and ended up deciding to go with whichever dress Andromeda picked out (Which she knew was a mistake, but she was completely out of options). Luckily now, she had Narcissa to rely on.