Chapter 2: The Prophet

After taking a long nap on the beach, and walking for another half a day, Revin and Blackfire entered Sothfæder, the Hiriv capital village. Each home was a work of art, with sinuous roofs designed to drop the rainfall into collectors and arched doorways which looked like curving trees, leaning into each other. Each door was etched with images and scripts. Immaculate calligraphy of scripture verses, depictions of Sephitaro, Father God, or even just nature itself. A tree, a horse. The etchings were incredibly detailed, and some monks even painted their doors, giving the entryways a vibrant life.

Pity the monks living behind those doors were so dull.

Though plain in some ways, the monks gave everything they made the utmost attention to detail. Even their mastersuits were works of art, layers of intertwining and overlapping leather, made to absorb the blow of a resilient goat's headbutt. Revin inspected his arm, the tiny chain links which made his suit were still intact, if a bit dirty. It had taken him almost a year to make it, each ring no larger than the nail on his pinky. The monk he'd "borrowed" the weave from didn't appreciate his use of it. She'd said it was for art.

It worked better for armor.

His side throbbed. And after almost a day's hike to get back, he was ready to sleep.

"Revin!"

Telyu and Andreh approached. They were about his age. He glanced at their animal companions. A squirrel, and a tiny bird. Revin had mastered those when he was six.

"We've been looking all over for you!" Telyu said with exasperation. "Where were you?"

"Hunting," Revin said.

Andreh shook her head. "Primitive," she said, glaring at Blackfire in disapproval. Her bird fidgeted on her shoulder.

Blackfire growled and Revin commanded him to stay. He stifled a laugh when Andreh flinched. "Come on, I haven't read that anywhere in the Sephitaron."

"Oh, and you've read it recently?" Andreh said, "I thought that was too boring for you?"

"You'd know all about boring, wouldn't you Andreh?"

Andreh's glare deepened. "It's better than recklessness. At least I'm not going to die before I'm thirty."

"You're not going to live before you're thirty."

Telyu looked concerned but didn't interrupt. Revin knew he'd try to find an opening, but Revin wasn't ready to back off. Andreh thought her way was the only way. And more than almost anything else, he hated when people invented commandments.

"It's unnatural," she said, motioning to Blackfire.

"Oh? I thought Father God created wolves too?"

"Yeah, to test us," Andreh said.

"Have you even been in their heads? How about a dog? A hawk? No." Revin motioned to the bird on Andreh's shoulder. "You know nothing about them. You've just got a stupid nut-picker."

"Don't insult Brightling," she snapped.

"Or is she a worm-eater?" Revin said with mock disgust, "Some birds do that. Is that ok?"

"Revin!" Telyu snapped. "The prophet's furious! We thought the monster killed you! Your mother's been beside herself."

The mention of his mother hit Revin with a rush of guilt. He should have told her what he was doing. She would have disapproved, but at least she wouldn't wonder where he was. Or if he were alive. He focused back on Telyu. "It's a serpent, not a monster, and it's been taken care of."