Chapter 23 - Ode To A Conversation Stuck in Your Throat [M]

Start from the beginning

The blush on her cheeks deepened as she returned the elbow jab. "Let's call a cab."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"Mikasa! Y/N!"

Jean's voice carried over the evening wind as he stood by the velvet ropes, saving both of you a spot in line. The sounds of the bass synced with your heartbeat. There were people all around you, and the smell of smoke and the city filled your nose. Jean captured you both in a hug, he couldn't look any more excited.

As you inched closer to the front of the line, you watched as the tall bouncer scan over everyone's ID cards. You pulled yours out, scanning over it as last-minute paranoia brushed over you. 'What if I'm not actually eighteen all of a sudden.'

"You're good, have fun," the deep voice grumbled pushing you along. You were so in your head that you didn't even notice giving the bouncer your card, him scanning it, and finally passing it back to you.

You felt Mikasa tug you along, "Are you okay?"

Looking over her shoulder, Jean shared the same concern as you walked up the steps, the music no longer muted. You blinked the paralysis away, not wanting to ruin the night already. Giving them a reassuring nod, you continued on. Navigating the anxiety was something you'd have to deal with eventually.

As you climbed the stairs, the view of the main bar came into sight. It glowed in the middle of the room as coloured lights shone through the bottles that were displayed. People gathered around, like animals at a watering hole, looking for a bartender to serve them. There were dark leather booths spread across the left side with handfuls of people sitting, drinking, and kissing. A mix of higher and lower tables, each sticky from the spilt drinks throughout the night. Directly opposite the entrance on the other side of the bar, nearly out of sight from where you first stood, was the dance floor. You were mesmerized by the bouncing of people who pressed together like sardines, sweating and grinding.

You looked over at your friends. They were drinking in the sights just as much as you were. Each of you was freshly an adult, each of you just as new. The atmosphere felt like it did in the movies and books. You wondered if that effect was only natural or if it was merely manufactured.

"Let's go find a table!" Jean yelled, barely audible. He led you both to a table that had no chairs but was tall enough for you to lean your elbows on. "I'll get us some drinks! First round's on me!"

Despite it being his birthday at a place where he wasn't required to be the host, Jean was quick to take care of you and Mikasa as he sauntered over to the busy bar. You were feeling severely aware of what was going on around you. You hoped that after a few more drinks, your senses would numb the overwhelming stimulation. It wasn't much longer until Jean came back with three glasses filled with an electric blue liquid.

"I have no fucking idea what this is! The bartender just recommended it to me!" Jean announced, placing the three glasses down on the sticky table.

"Happy birthday, Jean!" Mikasa cheered you each clinked your glasses before sipping through the straw. The taste was sweet and tropical, not nearly as poisonous as the drinks Jean has made you before. You all looked at each other across the table, nodding with impressed eyebrows. "This is delicious!"

"Can you believe this shit was seven dollars?" Jean loudly complained, after a loud sip through the ice cubes. "I guess that's why you pre-drink."

Between the sips of vodka you and Mikasa shared and the fruity drink from Jean, you were starting to loosen up. You were feeling yourself wanting to bob up and down to the beat rather than hide away from it. Your curiosity killed you as you wondered what other colourful drinks you could slip down your throat. The more your bloodstream absorbed the alcohol, the less nervous you were about making space for yourself amongst the patrons at the bar. "Mikasa," you called to her. "I'm gonna head to the bar! I'll grab us another round!"