~ 9 ~

The steakhouse was located on a downtown strip in Anaheim meaning there was no actual parking lot

The steakhouse was located on a downtown strip in Anaheim meaning there was no actual parking lot. It stood out compared to the other businesses built next to it. String and street lights illuminated the sidewalk as Peyton, Dizzy, Lake, and Alissa walked.

The universe was really testing her with these heels she decided to wear. "Damn, these heels." She complained, wincing as she slowed down a bit.

Dizzy chuckled, "maybe you should've worn comfortable shoewear instead of showing out for Baylen." He teased.

She shot him a glare, her eyes narrowed and her eyebrows lowered. She continued walking with the group, keeping an eye out for the rest of them. When they grew closer to the entrance, they saw the four boys waiting outside for them.

Baylen's head turned first, immediately landing on Peyton. "There you guys are." He smiled, walking over to them. "The heels giving you any trouble yet?" He sneered.

"Ha ha," she spoke dryly. "Is our table ready?" She asked, changing the topic so she didn't have to admit Baylen was right. The words felt wrong even conjured in her head.

He shook his head, sticking his hands in his pockets. "Just got here." He shrugged. "We should head in now. It's 8:25." He checked his Apple Watch.

They went inside and checked in before heading to their reserved table. It was outside with multiple tables pushed together to form one big one. There were only several people outside who sat near their reserved table. Peyton prayed they wouldn't complain like the lady at Denny's did.

The weather was a bit warm, she could see Baylen break a bit of a sweat due to the blazer. "You a little hot?" She smirked, sitting down at the table.

He chuckled. "Please. I'm really hot." He winked, taking a seat next to her. She rolled her eyes, that smile still plastered on her face.

She looked at the menu, scanning over all the steaks they provided. Nothing look appetizing in the steak department, even though she practically begged Dizzy to go. She mainly did it to see Baylen in a suit.

When the waitress came over to take their drink order, she ordered a Raspberry Peach Tea with a lemon slice. It felt fancy getting something with a lengthy title. Baylen just got a Coke. Classic Baylen.

The waitress walked off after getting everyone's drink orders, heading back to the kitchen. "So what are you thinking of getting?" Baylen asked, peering at the menu over Peyton's shoulder.

She hummed, "probably a Salmon Caesar salad." She looked over at him.

"You mean to tell me you forced me to come to a steak house just for you to not order a steak?!" Dizzy shouted. Everyone at the table laughed at Dizzy's outburst.

"Whoops." Peyton shrugged her shoulders while giggling. She saw in the corner of her eye a group of drunk men next to their table eyeing Peyton up and down. She shrunk down slightly, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. She scooted her seat closer to Baylen, whispering in his ear. "There's a group of guys looking at me."

His eyes grazed over the drunk men who were obviously staring at Peyton. Baylen brought his arm up and wrapped it around her, shooting a glare back at the guys. Slowly, they looked away from her. "Pervs." Baylen muttered under his breath, looking back down at her. He seemed shocked with he had just done, like he subconsciously put his arm around her.

Peyton liked the security from it, whether he meant to do it or not. The pair of eyes weren't on her anymore so thank god for that.

🐳

Peyton decided to get a ride back from Baylen since his car was parked way closer than Dizzy's. She rode with Kyle and Lucas who both sat in the backseat. She stared at the window, watching the city lights as the glimmered. You don't get a view like that in Indianapolis.

She felt Baylen's gaze land on her for only a moment, she saw the way he looked at her in the reflection on the window. Her heart skipped a couple beats as a smile formed on her face.

Maybe she was right. Maybe he does have feelings for her like she hoped. The thought of him even finding her remotely attractive caused her cheeks to turn crimson red. She hid her giddy smile in her palm, hoping Kyle wouldn't see it from the backseat. Cause if he did... Lord. He wouldn't shut up about it for the rest of the car ride.

Authors Note: I might post 1 more chapter tonight, but idk. It really depends on how i'm feeling because this one's so short