Chapter 27 - Closer Than Strangers

Start from the beginning

Ash grumbled unclearly on the other end. She could hear him rustling over the phone, most likely to get comfortable in his own bed. A soft chuckle slipped from her lips.

It was the small things about him that entertained her. The way he would grumble unenthusiastically whenever she would order him around—he secretly loved it though, she could tell. The widening of his eyes whenever she complimented him, whether it be his talents, or anything she mentioned out of the blue about him he wouldn't think she would observe. The unmasked part of his personality, his likes and dislikes, those small knacks of his—

Point is, she observed him. More than he knew and more than she realized. A bad habit of hers she really needs to work on.

The movie played and Ash listened to every comment Serena had made about it. He found himself fond of listening to her talk. They laughed, their banter ever so endearing. The time had grown late as Ash looked over at his clock. Half past twelve.

"I'm surprised you're still up. I'd think you would've fallen asleep by now," he remarked, but she didn't reply. "Serena?"

On cue a soft sound sounded through the phone and contentment crept over him. A smile danced on his lips as he went to hang up, but his eyes trailed back to the screen in front of him making him lose his train of thought. It was the film's ending scene. Shockingly, he paid attention to the whole movie. It was good, comedic, and romantic, of course.

Regular guy falls for the princess, the princess falls for the regular guy. A complete cliché.

What he hadn't anticipated was the male character walking out of the colosseum, losing the woman of his dreams, but his steps slowed as he wistfully remembered their adventure together. It was disheartening and he is forced to watch the man linger on in his lonely walk, knowing the woman he grew to admire will never be part of his life again.

It was heartbreak. It seemed close to reality.

He never thought a romantic comedy could be so depressing. His dorm room was dark and Gary had already texted him that he was coming in late. Ash knew it was because he was with Misty. It was hilarious. Both of them late for a girl. A situation he never thought he'd find himself in.

With that, he shut his laptop, and slumped back in his pillows. He quietly listened to her faint breathing. "Goodnight, Serena."

He hung up and was left with a pitiful silence.

The next day, the two had ventured to an art class, the teacher familiar with the two for their status in the school. She paid no mind to them coming in during their free time. Serena decided to have another lesson with Ash, showing photos of random things from her phone they would memorize and then draw on from their own from memory.

It wasn't the greatest of lessons, hard for a non artist like themselves, but in the meantime, Ash had to admit, it was fun messing with her.

Serena squinted her eyes. "What the hell is that?"

"It's the pigeon you showed me?"

"Ash, that is not the pigeon I just showed you."

They've been at it for a few hours. With each other, they sat beside one another, trying to help draw with techniques they clearly looked up. Then showing off their own skills, which was satisfactory at best.

"Serena, I'm not going to be Van Gogh or Leonardo da Vinci overnight."

"I can definitely see that," she quipped, looking at him then at his drawing with purpose.

Ash eyed her tone, heading to take his back from her and then got hers from the table, holding it up with a shit eating grin. "Yes, we can see who's not going to be Van Gogh or Leonardo da Vinci overnight."

Serena pinched her lips together, her hand sped out to snatch the paper from his hands, but like usual his reflexes knew her better. Gripping her picture, he eyed it in scrutiny.

"Wait, wait, wait." One of his arms came out to avoid her snappy fingers, as he leaned away from her, his other hand grasping the paper tightly as he pulled it closer to his face to continue inspecting it. "Is that—Is that supposed to be its wings?"

"My god, you are such an ass!"

Ash laughed as she struggled over him. He pulled the drawing behind his back, her front against his as she stood from the seat she once sat in, to reach for it. Serena was practically on his lap when he tried to lean far away, nearly falling backwards with his chair, her arms thrashing around him. They both laughed and giggled, loud and uncontrollably, forgetting where they were.

A thick throat clearing garnered their attention, both of them stilled and faced where the sound came from, it was a student at the table across from theirs who didn't have the guts to look at them. All at once, they gazed at the rest of the area, noticing that most eyes were on them.

Must have been too loud.

Ash was broken from the awkward air when Serena plucked the paper from his loosened grip. He looked back up at her, nose to nose, to see the pleasing grin coated on her face.

Her pink lips lifted into a smile and strawberries and lavender filled his nostrils, just like how she smelled that night he and her—

"Ha," she mocked, her breath fanning his face.

And just like that, she sat back in her seat comfortably, placing her 'pigeon' drawing between her books as if nothing happened, as if none of the students' eyes were upon them both. He sat up slowly; she might not feel the tension, but he definitely did.

Ignoring thoughts that lead to stirring emotions, he really wanted to enforce her studies since she told him about the stress builded on her. He cleared his throat. "We should—"

"Would you like to go to an arcade?"

Thrown off, he tilted his head at her, but she only raised her brows, leaning towards him in anticipation. He then remembered asking her if she wanted to go anywhere together. That must've been it.

He nodded, grinning. "Sure."

A delighted smile grew on her lips.