118: Don't Have A Choice

Start from the beginning

"Then why are you helping us?" Watts said.

"Because we have a common goal," Victoria said, distantly. "For now. After this, we won't work together anymore."

"Personally, I think after seeing this, you have nearly as much a shot at world domination as Salem does," Watts said. "Except not being immortal does throw a wrench in it."

"Who knows? Someday maybe I'll unlock that also," Victoria said offhandedly. "Problem solved, then."

She got up. "No time to waste."

"But that's why you detest me, isn't it?" Watts said as she was turning.

"Pardon?"

"Before, because I faked my death and vowed revenge instead of slinking into a hole like you and just working in secret," Watts said.

"Arthur, who am I to say if someone should fake their death?" Victoria said. "Mayhaps it would have been easier if I did that--but the one thing I can't fathom is why anyone would use their talents to help tear down what's left of civilization, which is our only accomplishment as a race that means anything in the long run, in the hopes that the immortal being who's been fighting humanity for centuries is suddenly going to turn around and start helping them once she gets her way--instead of finding a new career or goal in life that's actually constructive. So yes, I despise you. I loathe wasted potential."

She left the room.

[Everything Machine--half alive]

* * *

"When are we getting out of here?" Cinder asked Shine, after they'd heard Victoria's news to Winter and Raven--it really wasn't that far away, and the girls were loud.

"Excuse me?" Shine asked.

"Well, there's no hostage now, so there's no reason to stay," Cinder said. "And you can, so why aren't you?"

"Because I think farther ahead than that," Shine said. "And that is no way to speak. Weiss is..." She paused. "No, she's not dead." She rubbed her temples. "I would know. The magic here isn't that strong. Maybe I can't see into this place, but that doesn't mean I can't see out of it."

Her eyes flickered. "I think I would know. I always know."

"Great, you know." Cinder didn't buy it. "Or you failed."

"If I failed--" Shine looked up at her. "--what would your rubbing it in do for you?"

Cinder pursed her lips.

"Just proves my point," she said.

"At this stage, Cinder, your chances of escaping this place are dependent on me believing what I believe in," Shine said, "so you could at least pretend to encourage it until we're out of here. I don't trust you, but some effort would be nice."

"Oh, wow, I bet everyone is all right," Cinder said sarcastically. "Happy?"

"No."

"Good."

"Right." Shine rolled her eyes. "Well, it could be worse. I could have been stuck with Tyrian."

Cinder grimaced.

"Right, the only thing we have in common is our distaste for him," Shine recalled. "Honestly, though, you're not that different."

"Don't say that," Cinder said.