Chapter 26 - Shocking

Start from the beginning

"No, they won't," Hua Jin affirmed. "Sometimes they argue, but they wouldn't resort to physical violence. Grandma Chen is already quite old, and Sister Qin wouldn't dare to lay a hand on her. They just quarrel for the sake of it. We, the residents of this building, are used to it."

Unfortunately, Hua Jin hadn't taken more than a few steps with Pei Yan before Grandma Chen noticed them.

"Xiao Hua, wait!" Grandma Chen saw Hua Jin and seemed to gain strength. She pointed at Pei Yan beside Hua Jin and said, "Still trying to introduce relatives to Little Hua? Look at what kind of boyfriend she has. He looks better than your relatives, has longer legs than your relatives, and even dresses better than them."

Hua Jin and Pei Yan exchanged glances, and in that instant, they finally understood each other's thoughts through their eyes.

Pei Yan: Boyfriend? Is she talking about me?

Hua Jin: It's all a misunderstanding...

Pei Yan: I give her a ride home, and it not only costs me fuel but also damages my reputation?

Hua Jin: ...

Note: The phrase Xiao Hua-"Little Hua" is a term of endearment or familiarity used to address Hua Jin.

She turned around and gave a awkward smile to Grandma Chen, about to explain that Pei Yan was just her friend, when a young man in sportswear emerged from the alley.

The young man's eyes lit up when he saw Hua Jin, but when he noticed Pei Yan beside her, he hesitated and retracted his steps towards Hua Jin.

Sister Qin was ready to retort and scold Grandma Chen for meddling, but upon seeing her nephew appear, she swallowed her anger. If they continued to argue, not only would her nephew be embarrassed, but Hua Jin and her boyfriend would also feel awkward.

Upon seeing Sister Qin's nephew, Grandma Chen chose to cease hostilities as well. Sister Qin was the person she disliked the most, and this young man had a pleasing appearance and hadn't offended her. She was afraid that if she continued to scold, the young man would be embarrassed.

The two of them tacitly chose to halt the fight, but to save face, they remained on the balcony, unwilling to leave. It seemed as if whoever went back inside first would be deemed the loser.

"Hello," Hua Jin nodded slightly towards the other person.

Pei Yan tilted his head slightly and his gaze swept over Hua Jin. He sensed her aloofness towards this man.

"Hello," the young man with a buzz cut forced a smile, stuttering, "What a coincidence."

"Are you here to see Sister Qin?" Hua Jin pointed upstairs. "She happens to be home. Go up quickly."

"Oh... uh, okay," the young man seemed to snap out of it only now. Reluctantly, he walked past Hua Jin, and after a few steps, he couldn't help but ask, "Is this... your boyfriend?"

Hua Jin smiled and didn't answer.

The young man's eyes dimmed little by little, and the smile on his face could barely hold up. "I'm sorry," he said in a dejected tone as he walked into the dimly lit and dilapidated corridor. Hua Jin glanced at his retreating figure and withdrew her gaze expressionlessly.

"I'll walk you out," Hua Jin looked up and smiled at Pei Yan. "You wouldn't be accustomed to this kind of living atmosphere." Poor Mr. Pei, who was accustomed to a higher social standing, had been frightened into silence by this argument.

"I brought you in, and now you're sending me out. Isn't that pointless?" Pei Yan glanced at the somewhat run-down building behind him. The old lady on the second floor and the woman on the fourth floor had already entered their respective apartments at some point. He asked Hua Jin, "Which floor do you live on?"