74-

By the time Damon Albarn had managed to make some sort of appearance in the Erlich household, the tensions had been high. Thea hadn't quite spoken to her mother, and had gone out to lunch with her grandmother. Maxis was choosing to be neutral- adoring his grandchild, but often having a natural favoritism for his photographer daughter. As she had always been his favorite kid. Often masking her own flaws for him.

But Damon Albarn wasn't really having it, as he sat in the Erlich living room, sprawled out on the sofa- Chloe's legs dangling off the edges as her head rest in his lap. Silent intimacy as Maxis was nowhere to be seen.

She was bound to find out and have an opinion, it's easier that she heard from Ewan than kids at school. Isn't it?"

"We had agreed to tell her together." Chloe says, gritting her teeth "That's my problem. He saw she was upset about not coming to New York and decided to play good parent by saying that."

"We all have to switch it up Chlo, speaking of which- why don't you...." He trails off, leaving the rest up to her imagination.

She squeezes his thigh gently before pressing a kiss to it."You're always such a god damn tease."

He chuckles "You know it."

But back to their real point of conversation.

"Ewan has always done that as a parent. Like if we'd have to all uproot from England or LA for a film, he'd always say it was my fault if I wanted to stay in one place for educational purposes. Or if he wanted to ride motorbikes across the country."

"You've told me." He murmurs "Can't imagine how invalidating that is."

"May and Della, at least they were old enough to see what it was. Thea is young and impressionable. She can be bought over."

"Did May and Della ever have any resentment?" He asks quietly "I don't think we've ever really discussed it."

She sighs "I wrote you letters about what I wanted. I never did anything. Ewan found the letters and used it to rationalize physical cheating from his side.
Did I say what I did was right? No. But I stayed because I had three kids. And I could finally leave, or comfortably leave when Thea was older."

He grabs her hand in a comforting gesture and starts to play with her palm, tracing out patterns around it.

"May and Della, I don't know. I assume they knew something was up. But they're old enough to decide whatever on their own."

"Or are you saying that because they chose you?"

"They didn't choose me. That's ridiculous"

"Is it?" He questions "I barely see them around their father, unless it's for some sort of event. They're always following you around like a little duck. I'd follow you."

She rolls her eyes "Well, I haven't ever thought of it that way."

"Maybe Thea is more of Ewan's kid. I mean, she sure as shit sounds like it."

"I hoped her coming to England would even her out."

"And for her to develop your ratty little posh accent? He teases

"I don't think I sound that awful. After all, my father grew up in a mining town."

"And you in recording studios and department stores." He winks at her

"I'm thrilled to know you've read my father's biography."

"Graham did, I didn't."

She rolls her eyes again, sitting up and kissing him promptly. "When do I get to see the album?"

"When it's done."

She pouts "Why?"

"Because..." he draws his answer out " I'm making you wait for the first time in your life." He grabs both of her hands and interlocks their fingers "You've had all the music in the world at your fingertips, and now I'm going to make you be a regular little girl."

He lets go of her hands and allows his own to travel down her back. "You're very pretty Chloe. Anyone ever tell you that?"

"Plenty of times. And we can't do this on my Dad's sofa."

"Why? Someone else probably has" a new voice says, causing Chloe to practically jump off of Damon's lap in fright.

There was Hans.

"You twit! What'd you do that for?" She hisses, brushing off her jeans as she stands up, making her way over to give him a hug.

He shrugged "You were about to fuck on the sofa. I sit there."

"Again, someone else probably has." Damon says, reiterating her brother's point.

"Thank you Damon. Nice to see you again, can't wait for your lovely album. I love how you haven't given Chloe here a listen. I finally have an upper hand."

"See?" Damon says grinning

"I've never forgiven her for not sharing some of Dad's new tapes, or the Stones records over the years."

Damon pretends to look shocked "What a naughty girl!"

She shoots him a look.

Hans laughs "Aw Chloe don't pout, you'll hear it in due time. Like everyone else."

"Fuck you Hans."

"No, but I'd love to fuck Damon here."

"The opportunity has unfortunately passed." He says cheekily "Perhaps I would've said yes in, what was it? 1996? 1997? When I wanted to make Chlo miserably jealous?"

"You didn't succeed by the way. You only depressed me."

"Really?"

"You were a piece of shit on heroin."

"Who isn't?"

"Justine."

"That is one person, and you've met plenty of former heroin addicts. What about Avery? She's lovely when she's high."

"Agree to disagree."

"She's a beautiful person all the way around." Hans says "You were just unfortunately friends with the irrelevant Karlie."

"In my defense, she was a very good storyteller."

Hans shrugs and then tips his hat down and walks off, a grin on his face "I'll be watching from the top of the stairs. Don't get comfortable."

As soon as her brother leaves the room, their conversation resumes down the serious note. "So, what do I do? How can I make Thea like me again? Clearly bringing her here and to any of this, well, it doesn't help."

"Chlo, that's not how it works. Sometimes one kid will favor a parent over the other-"

"I just feel like it's unfair. I wrote you letters, I never physically cheated. Not after we did therapy. I stayed and I waited. I tried our marriage."

"Sometimes it isn't enough."

"It isn't fair."

"Fair isn't real, you of all people should know that."