Rolling Stone Interview w/ Albarn

An Interview W/ Damon Albarn:

Music has long had its set of eccentrics, and among them has sat Damon Albarn. The self proclaimed sex symbol of the 90's, frontman for Blur, transformed into the butterfly that is best known as Gorillaz. Albarn is a creative in all regards and one of the best. When I had the opportunity to sit down with the musician, he looked about as far from the typical creative could have. Tucked into a posh hotel lobby in New York City, Albarn looks like he'd be much more at home in a studio somewhere. He started off by telling me that in fact he'd rather be in a studio, but was being held up by musicians stuck in meetings and other issues.

Upon questioning him on modern musicians, we've found that Albarn is a stickler for the weird. Enjoying the likes of Billie Eilish and her brother Phineas.

"They're quite enjoyable. I like the intimacy of their songwriting. They're also odd."

Readers will be either enthralled, or disappointed to find that Albarn is not a fan of singer-songwriter Taylor Swift.

"I've spoken on this before, so let me try to clarify. It's not for me. I don't like it. Maybe I haven't listened enough. Chloe's kids nearly beat my head in last time I said something."

"So you're reevaluating your previous statements on Swift?"

Albarn shrugs, moving on.

He has however, managed to bring me towards the point that so many have become interested in for the first time since the late 90's. His relationship to photographer Chloe Erlich, daughter to rock legend Maxis Erlich. Yes, that one.

Many recall the two having a blaring friendship during the 90's, one that was filled with spite, photographs and everything that defined the damn decade. With plenty of speculation that the pair had remained more than friends- despite both having ties to their respective partners: Justine Frischmann and Ewan McGregor.

"Speaking of Chloe, how has it been working with her again? She's been shooting Gorillaz recently, hasn't she?"

"Chloe is my favorite photographer. Always has been. She's a witty little thing, likes to get dirty with her photographs. Fucking brilliant."

"You two have known one another for the better half of two decades, how has that relationship changed?"

Albarn laughs unsteadily, as if unprepared for the question. "I believe technology has changed, and her dad will work with me now."

Maxis Erlich and Gorillaz do have a new single out. Reminders.

"Pardon the rudeness, but there have been plenty of reports about the two of you. Any comments on those?"

He merely chuckles, as if he's been amused by the question and then politely shuts me down by saying "I thought you were still a music magazine."

Cheeky! Just like he's always been. Clever.

There have been plenty of reports about Albarn recently, if not for speculation about his connection to Chloe Erlich, then for the potential of a Blur reunion in the coming months. Blur- probably best remembered in America for the hit song 'Song 2', has been a longtime favorite of mine since I purchased their album 13.