→CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

—

RIKU COULDN'T FEEL HERSELF BREATHING. Not with how her chest forbade her to do so as it was clumped up with harsh waves of being deceived, her eyes becoming an open window for everyone to look into to see just how betrayed she was.

"Once I put my mind to something, I just keep on rolling!"

So much has already happened. Why is there always more?

How strange.

The voice was Kayano's. The words were said by Kayano. The face and body are Kayano's too, and yet...Riku couldn't sense any familiarity with her green-haired classmate who has now become an entirely different person in our gamer's eyes.

The heat of the circle of fire Kayano made barely fazed the lavender head who only stood behind everyone, watching everything be brought upon chaos. 

Who knew, that out of everyone, Kayano would have been the one to surprise them the most?

A friendly face that Riku grew fond of and looked forward to seeing every class was now wiped away. And the Kayano that stood before her, before everyone, was a stranger. 

A stranger who held a grudge.

"She's only been fighting like this for ten or fifteen seconds," Amongst the panic, Itona's voice stood out, but that did not erase the terror in his eyes. "But the tentacles are already starting to take over her mind."

The Kayano who was lunging towards Koro-sensei with green tentacles of her own was not the same person whom she accepted as her friend throughout the semesters (though, Riku would prefer it if this was kept secret).

"If they've already taken that much control, it's too late." Riku's head snapped towards where Itona stood. "Whether or not she gets her revenge, she'll only last a few more minutes after that."

How...

"Then I think she'll die."

How could it have come to this?

What Riku thought would be an average normal school day for the assassins-in-training students of Class E, turned into one that made Riku question everything she has learned up to that point.

They already finished exams, they managed to escape death at the hands of the Grim Reaper...their School Festival restaurant was a success, too. 

Riku and the rest of Class E thought that they could now focus on the assassination and the assassination alone, that, and alongside their future colleges and aspiring careers. But they didn't think it would have come to this...