→CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

WARNING! Mentions of suicide

WARNING! Mentions of suicide. Please proceed with caution.

RIKU HAS ALWAYS HATED LOSING. To be quite frank, she loathed it entirely. Loathed to a point that she also loathed the feelings that came along with it.

When it came to losing, it's like all of Riku's moral values are thrown out the window. To hell with that 'losing offers a lesson' shit. Losing tasted bitter, almost metallic, like she accidentally bit her tongue and it bled.

Losing tasted disgusting.

However, as much as she hated it, she knew it was something unavoidable. Inevitable, basically. At some points in her life, may it be her past, present, or future — the young Akiyama had experienced several losses. And deep in her mind, she has accepted the fact that she will continue to.

Still hated it, though.

She thought it was the same for a certain strawberry blonde, class A, over-the-top, narcissistic asshole that goes by the name Asano Gakushu.

She thought that the boy shared similar feelings with her when it comes to losing or failing. Thus, why they become all the more competitive when they face each other in any sort of way. But...

She thought wrong.

Riku Akiyama hated losing. But Gakushu Asano feared it.

The young girl saw it the moment the pole he clung to came falling down during pole toppling with her male classmates. She saw how his eyes widened as a scared look swirled in the depths of his violet-colored orbs. He looked terrified. Absolutely terrified. And instead of seeing the younger version of the chairman, Riku saw nothing else but a little kid who looked like he dreaded the moment he goes home.

Her heart took pity, but Riku turned her eyes to her classmates who all celebrated a well-earned and well-deserved victory.

"Another win! Look at my kids go!"

A tick mark appeared on Riku's forehead. Koro-sensei's cheering is appreciated...to an extent. She was already annoyed because he made her do so much unnecessary poses earlier that she almost pulled out her anti-sensei gun out of murderous instinct.

"Riku?" A soft voice managed to snap the said girl out of her train of thought. Her eyes looked down and instantly met Nagisa's.

Have I grown taller? Riku asked herself, not daring to ask it out loud. She knew how Nagisa was insecure about his height.