→CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

—

FIFTY MINUTES TURNED TO FORTY, forty minutes turned to thirty, and soon enough there was only less than half an hour on the clock before the sudden virus that ambushed the End Class could kill more than half of their students. Riku honestly wondered to herself how on Earth their supposed vacation turned into a possible massacre.

...

Okay, they were planning to assassinate their teacher, but that is very much besides the point here.

The point is that Riku was well aware of how much time was quickly passing by and that there was not much sand left in the top half of the hourglass. They were running on thin ice and they have yet to receive any feedback from any of their classmates and instructors.

Ever since she had her attack, Riku had not once stood up from her seat, sweat dribbling down her forehead in a calm manner -- like some sort of small rainy weather where the raindrops fall one by one in a slow and steady rhythm that Riku always liked.

Takebayashi and Okuda continued to take over things behind her, rushing left and right and dealing with the rest of their sick classmates. It was safe to say that Riku's case was much safer than the others, seeing that the girl could still sit up straight and respond more clearly than the others.

Pushing her slender fingers through her hair, which was sweating through the roots, Riku sighed, taking long deep breathes to stabilize her breathing. 

"Any word from them?" Riku asked when Okuda approached her with a bottle of water, silently hoping for a positive response. However, the lavender-haired girl's quiet wishes were only crushed when her classmate shook her head.

"None." The latter replied with a downcasted look, a hint of worry swirling deep beneath her violet orbs. "Do you think...that something happened to them?"

The question came out as a whisper, almost as if it was the invisible breeze that kisses your cheek -- hesitant, cautious, but nevertheless, came. It was clear that Okuda was rather uncomfortable with asking the question because it is a question filled with nothing but doubt.

Doubt that Karma and the others got the cure.

Doubt that they were safe.

Doubt that Karasuma, Irina, and Koro-sensei were able to protect and guide them.

Doubt that their sick classmates could see the light of tomorrow.

Riku wanted to scoff at herself.

How could such a simple question come with so much heaviness?