LX. THE BEGINNING OF THE END

Madison Argent sat in the driver's seat of her new car, the night's breeze blowing gently on her face as she drove down the paved road, the stars illuminating the sky.

It had been a long yet relaxing drive as the werewitch traveled home from the airport, the quiet whistle of the wind paired with the hollow buzzing of the radio, creating a tranquil atmosphere in the forest. Madison's fingers were wrapped around the steering wheel, her elbow leaning against the open window. Her eyes moved from the empty road to the forest besides her, breathing in the scent of leaves and pond water.

It was peaceful outside, the delicate wind blowing through Madison's hair as she hummed quietly in the background. The werewitch was leaned back in her chair, her neck shifting slightly as she adjusted her position, her eyes shifting to the 'Welcome to Beacon Hills' sign to her left.

Madison inhaled deeply, her shoulders rising and falling dramatically as she blinked heavily. It was the first time Madison had seen that sign in months. The werewitch allowed a sigh to expel from her lips, running a hand through her freshly dyed brunette hair.

Madison had decided to ditch her fiery auburn hair weeks ago, her locks no longer contrasting with the warm sun, but aligning with the soft glow of the moon. Her hair had grown out much faster than expected, her locks elongated to her ribs as opposed to her shoulder-length hair. The hair that framed her face altered her features, her face holding a less childlike look. Her hair was one of the least important changes Madison had undergone as summer came and went.

The gradual change of colorful clothing to a more neutral palette aided in Madison's new stylistic choices, the werewitch now found darker colored outfits more to her liking nowadays. The werewitch had changed many things about herself over the summer, even embracing her last name as she now went by Mérchante-Argent. 

Madison ran a hand through her locks once more, hearing the quiet whistle of a low howl within the forest. Her ears felt drawn to the sound immediately.

The werewitch hadn't thought about the supernatural once since summer began, and she hadn't used her powers in months.

It felt good to renter Beacon Hills, but she missed France.

Paris was good to her, the food was magnificent and the potential boys she may or may not have met were great rebounds. Madison had piles upon piles of phone numbers in her suitcase, but didn't plan to call any of them back. The extra weight of romance and boys seemed unnecessary to Madison.

She planned for this year to be different.

Madison was independent now, more independent than she'd ever been. She didn't need to rely on anyone else for her happiness, and things were looking up.

While Madison had been less than excited to return to Beacon Hills—she had no other choice if she wanted to finish high school. Lydia's mother, now the principal as opposed to the school's counselor, was able to pull some strings to allow Madison and a few others to skip junior year and head straight to senior year.