XLVIII. THE BEAST OF BEACON HILLS

Madison and Liam walked out of the school a few moments later in search of Mason and Corey. Madison could feel her uneasy breaths and an anxious feeling in the pit of her stomach.

In all honesty, Madison was scared. She knew she had the skills necessary to partake in defeating the Beast, but she was afraid it was too late.

What if she wasn't strong enough?

Madison tried to rid those thoughts of her head. Negativity would only fuel her werewolf side, and that wasn't something she was interested in.

The girl simply wished she could jump in time, and both of her supernatural sides would be at peace and their full potential without having to do any work. It was wishful thinking, but could anyone really blame her?

Madison and Liam had started their hunt near common ground, public places where the Beast might've planned to attack, though a moment later Madison caught the Beast's scent by the woods.

The couple had been sprinting throughout the forest, panting heavily and exhausted from running and the previous events of the night. Liam's feet were stomping against the damp grass, the woods dark except for the sliver of the moonlight peeking in.

"Mason! Mason!" Liam yelled, desperate to find his best friend while Madison watched, her chest aching the longer she bored her boyfriend's heartbroken expression.

Madison's own feet were tired, her body bruised and wounded from her fight with the beast. She did her best to keep up, but was hopelessly trailing behind Liam as a result. Madison watched wide eyed as Liam tripped over a tree root, landing face first on the dirt.

Her eyes narrowed as his figure fell to the floor, her feet carrying to her him as she placed a concerned hand on his shoulder.

Liam sat straight up, squatting down as he laid his head against Madison's chest. He heaved heavily, chewing at the skin on his bottom lip.

"I lost it. I lost his scent," he quivered, his voice wavering as if he didn't believe it. Madison ran a comforting hand through his hair.

"Liam, it's going to be okay. Everyone's looking for him...we'll find him." Madison held out her hand for Liam to take as she pulled him up with a grunt, holding his hand as they continued their search in the woods.

The beta and the werewitch continued down the woods, up until Madison could feel her feet giving out. Her wounds had stopped healing as she could feel them painfully reopening, her body suddenly aware and feeling the effects of her lack of self care.