Chapter Four

Darcy had just finished packing another order, when she heard on a knock on her front door

Darcy had just finished packing another order, when she heard on a knock on her front door. She set the box to the side, and walked across the house, all the way to the front door. Opening the door, the woman smiled when she seen Peggy and Chris standing outside. Peggy held a bag in her hand, that she handed to Darcy the moment she entered the house.

"What's this?" Darcy asked, as she opened the bag.

"We got ya the first thing ya need to be a real country girl." Peggy replied, smiling at the girl.

Darcy reached into the bag and pulled out a new pair of brown cowboy boots. A grin made its way on her lips, as she quickly set them on the floor, and slipped them onto her sock covered feet.

"Oh, you got the perfect size and everything!" Darcy exclaimed happily, as she admired the boots on her feet.

"Let's go find you an outfit. Chris is gonna take the pups to our house with Dodger." Peggy commented, as she linked her arm with Darcy's.

"Their travel bowls are under the kitchen sink!" Darcy called out, as Peggy dragged her away from the front door.

Darcy lead Peggy to her large closet, and Peggy's eyes went wide when she seen all of the clothes and shoes the woman owned.

"Ya have a lot of stuff, good thing we got here early." Peggy joked, and Darcy chuckled.

Peggy looked through all the pants, shorts, skirts, shirts, button downs, tank tops, and dresses. It took almost thirty minutes for the woman to find Darcy an outfit for the night. Once she found something, she pulled it off the hanger and handed it to Darcy.

"Strapless bra or no bra?" Darcy asked, as she held the dress up in front of herself.

"No bra, if ya wore one, you'd see the back of it from the back of the dress." Peggy answered, and Darcy nodded in agreement.

Peggy stepped out to give Darcy time to change, and by the time she had on her dress and boots, Chris was back, and Peggy had brought him to Darcy's room.

"Whatcha think?" Peggy asked Chris, as she motioned to Darcy's outfit.

"Looks good. You and Peggy will be the best lookin' girls there." He replied, and Darcy smiled.

"Come sit, I'm gonna fix your hair." Peggy said, as she patted the chair in front of the small vanity.

Peggy had decided to do a simple look, since she didn't want Darcy feeling too hot from the hair products. Also, hair products weren't really Peggy's thing, so she didn't use them unless she had to. She then turned Darcy around and put very minimal makeup on her, before she allowed her to look at herself in the mirror.

"Wow, I look different from my normal look." Darcy commented, causing her two friends to laugh.

"Well, I'll be 'round to help ya with your outfits whenever ya need me." Peggy said, and Darcy smiled.

"That's good, 'cause I'm definitely going to need your help." Darcy replied, chuckling to herself.

Darcy gasped quietly, before she ran into her closet to grab a couple things. When she came back out, she handed one thing to Peggy, and one thing to Chris.

"So, I made you two something while I was working this week. Peggy, I remembered you saying you were a big fan of the 'Love Is' cutouts you collected when you were little, so I made you a thin hoodie you can wear when it gets cold. Chris, I remembered seeing stuff for baseball around, and if I'm correct it was for a Boston team. So, I put the design for the team on a pair of sleep pants that I hope fit you." She said, causing her friends to smile.

"Thank you, Darcy." Peggy replied, as she admired the hoodie Darcy had made.

"Yeah, I'll definitely be wearin' these often." Chris replied, as he rubbed the embroidered design.

"Let's get movin'. I think the others are headed out by now." Peggy commented, and Darcy and Chris nodded.

"Wanna ride with us, or ya wanna bring your truck?" Chris asked, but Peggy stopped him.

"She's ridin' with us, so she can find the place. Next time she can bring her truck if she wants." Peggy said, answering for the younger girl.

"Yes ma'am." Chris replied, giving his wife a nod with a smile.

Chris, being the gentleman he was raised to be, opened the passenger door for Darcy and his wife. Darcy was going to have to sit in the middle seat of the pickup truck, since the back seat was small, and it was full of tools and other things Chris used often when he was working.

"I told my friend Dorthy you were coming, so she'll know who ya are when she sees ya." Peggy commented, and Darcy gave a nervous smile.

Darcy was nervous to meet their friends, since she knew they could easily tell she wasn't from the country. She also knew that they could form an opinion on her, thinking she was a rich, snobby, city girl based on how she dressed or how she talked. She just wanted to make a good impression, even if that meant she had to tone down some of her personality.

"Don't ya worry, they'll like you. You're a nice girl." Chris said, patting her knee with an encouraging smile.

"Yeah, and us girls can hangout on weekends sometimes if ya want." Peggy added, and Darcy nodded.

"I'd like that. I haven't had girls to hang out with in a couple years; other than my sisters of course." Darcy replied, causing Peggy chuckled.

"One of these days, I wanna meet your family. From the stories we've heard, they sound like great, funny people." Chris commented, and Darcy laughed.

"They are, and I think they'll probably come visit in a couple months. They can't stay away from me long, it's one of the downsides of being the youngest; other than my nieces." She joked, causing her friends to laugh.

At least she knew she had two friends, though she hoped she made more, so she wouldn't feel like an outcast in the town...