11

Billy's pov
the next day
___________________________________

"Billy, it's your turn out there!" Heather yelled through the entrance of the locker room.

I groaned and headed out.

Her and Linda were front and center, waiting outside.

"Why so mopey?" Linda asked.

"I'm not."

"We knew if you defended the psycho, things would end badly." Heather said.

I didn't even have it in me to argue with them, so I just kept walking.

As usual, that wasn't enough.

"You don't have to ignore us. You already know we're right." Linda said.

I shot back around and gave them both a glare.

"You're not right about anything. Maybe take a day off from being miserable," I said, "what makes it so much worse is that you both think you still have a chance."

They rolled their eyes and walked away.

I pulled my sunglasses over my eyes and made my way towards the chair.

"Billy?" Mrs. Wheeler asked.

I turned around and was face to face with her.

"I'm sorry about the other day," She said, "I know you're young and you don't have a family of your own, so you may not understand.."

"Leave me alone, Karen." I cut her off, walking away.

I climbed up the ladder and began to watch the people swimming.

I glimpsed over and she was looking up at me.

It didn't really bother me, but it was weird to me how none of these women had any respect for themselves.

Carly, however, did bother me a little bit.

She was different than anyone else I've ever met, so seeing the way she acted last night was disappointing.

I tried really hard not to think about it. I knew she had been through a lot in the last few weeks and the way I made her feel was shitty, but it was me doing her a favor.

I wasn't a good guy. I'd hurt her and she'd resent me forever, so I knew it was smart to let her hate me briefly than long term.

Still, I couldn't put my finger on why it mattered so much to me now since nothing like that has ever had me think twice.

Maybe I should talk to her again, but for the first time in my life, I felt unable to face anyone about what I was actually thinking.

I was instantly ripped out of my thoughts when it looked like someone appeared to be struggling in the water.

People all around the area were panicking, so I just slid down the chair and jumped in after them.

She wasn't drowning, but acting as if she hit her head and was loopy.

I lost some focus because she looked so familiar.

Almost just like Carly.

"Are you alright?" I asked, setting her down gently on a towel.

She had some blood on her hand from where the impact was from the pool wall.

It took her a second along with some deep breaths.

"I think so. Sorry." She responded.

I looked at her a little longer, taking in all the familiar features. She had lighter hair that wasn't permed and it was shoulder length.