Chapter 5 - Fairies in MT. Moon

On the outskirts of Pewter City, lay a mountain range that stood 1700 feet tall, but was covered in foliage and vegetation. Ash, Pikachu, Misty, and their new friend Brock were hiking along a dirt road surrounded by trees and tall grass. Unfortunately for them, they had to traverse this towering obstacle.
   "Okay, so the next gym I should try is in Cerulean City, right Brock," Ash asked.
   "That's right," Brock answered. "But to get there, we have to pass through Mt. Moon."
   "That's a pretty name for a mountain," Misty interjected.
   "Well, the mountain has a lot of astonishing and strange stories behind it," Brock retorted.
   "Like what," Ash inquired.
   "For starters," began Brock. "It's said that in prehistoric times, a meteorite crashed into the mountain. The meteor would later be called the Moon Stone. And because of it, the mountain was named after it."
   "Wow, that's pretty cool," Ash smiled.
   "I don't know," Misty said happily. "The name Moon Stone sounds very romantic."
   Just then, screaming was heard from down the path. Pikachu's ears jerked up as the sound echoed.
   "Come on guys," Ash said as he and Pikachu rased toward the screaming.
   Misty and Brock followed instantly.

   For two more minutes, Ash and his friend ran in the direction of the screaming until they found the source. Ash's eyes widened as he saw a swarm of blue two-foot bats with large mouths, sharp fangs, pointed ears with purple insides, purple winged membranes, and two long tail-like appendages that looked like legs. They were biting and shrieking at a man in a white lab coat.
   "Wait, is that..." Ash pondered as he pulled out his Pokédex.
   "Zubat, the Bat Pokémon," said Dexter. "This nocturnally active Pokémon is blind and constantly in flight. It uses supersonic abilities to navigate through dark caves."
   "Doesn't explain their behavior tho," Ash inquired. "Worry about that later, Pikachu, use Thunder Shock on the Zubats!"
   Pikachu unleashed electricity through his cheeks and shot at the bat Pokémon. The Zubats flailed as they slowly began retreating into a nearby cave entrance. All but one of the Zubats flew away, but the straggler was lying on the ground and softly cried out. Brock took notice of the Pokémon and rushed toward it. Brock pulled out a container from his backpack containing his homemade Pokémon food.
   "Thank you for saving me," said the man in the man in the science coat. "My name is Seymour."
   "Not a problem Seymour," Ash said as he helped the man up. "Why were those Zubats attacking you?"
   "Oh, I'm afraid something terrible happened inside Mt. Moon," Seymour answered sadly. "Oh, how rude of me, I never asked for your names."
   "My name's Ash," answered the boy.
   "I'm Misty," Misty answered.
   "My name is Brock," Brock answered. "Pleasure to meet you."
   "A pleasure to make your acquaintances," Seymour responded. "Please, follow me into the cave and I'll explain."

   Seymour walked into the cave as Ash, Misty, and Brock followed inside. Along the cave walls was a system of stringed lights. Ash and his friends looked around and saw many Pokémon acting strangely. On the cave floor were several Pokémon that looked like a combination of a crab and a spider with two mushrooms sprouting on their backs. They pulled the fungus off of their backs and planted them into the ground. Behind a shady corner lay a Pokémon that looked like an armadillo, but it was sad and looked dehydrated.
   "The Pokémon in here are accustomed to the cave's dark environment," Seymour explained.
   "Someone strung up these lights throughout the cave, and they're disorienting the Pokémon. The Paras are planting their mushrooms, and the Sandshrews are suffering from heatstroke due to the lights. My job is to keep the environment safe from people who would do things like this."
   "What I'm not understanding is why they would attack a cave," Misty said.
   "I have a strong hypothesis that it involves the Moon Stone," Seymour explained.
   "Why's that," Brock asked.
   "Because the Moon Stone can evolve certain Pokémon," Seymour answered. "Not only that, but the stones are incredibly valuable due to their rarity. I fear that forcing Pokémon to evolve, and illegal distribution is why these Pokémon are being harmed. I know I have no right to ask you all but, won't you please help me stop this madness?"
   "I'll do it," Ash replied with a confident smile.
   "Count me in too," Brock said.
   "We'll help you, Seymour," Misty added.