Chapter sixteen

Isabella's POV:

Isabella's POV:

"Noah, open the goddamn door!" I hear Noah's voice echo through the office. My mind races, replaying the brutal scene I witnessed. He killed a man without hesitation, and the worst part is... I found it disturbingly captivating.

The man's last moments, the coldness in Noah's eyes—he wasn't just a murderer; he was a force of nature, unapologetically ruthless. I'm marrying a man who could end my life without a second thought, and it terrifies me.

I yell back, "Leave me alone!"

"Isabella, it's me, Andrew. Open the door. We need to talk," comes the softer, more concerned voice from the other side. My heart pounds. I hesitate but eventually open the door. Noah is leaning against the frame, his gaze hard, and Andrew stands beside him, looking serious.

"Can I talk to her alone, sir?" Andrew asks, his tone respectful yet firm.

Noah's eyes flicker with frustration, but he nods. "Fine, but I don't have all day," he warns, his voice taut.

Andrew steps in, and I slam the door behind him with a satisfying thud. I sit back down on the floor, trying to steady my breathing.

"Isabella," Andrew begins, his tone measured, "I know what you saw was shocking. Noah isn't as devilish as he appears. He was forced into this life by his father. He doesn't kill for pleasure; it's a grim necessity. The man you saw—he was a rapist who caused the death of a five-year-old girl. 

Noah had to act."

His words hit me like a sledgehammer. My anger dissipates, replaced by a mix of guilt and sorrow. I feel a pang of regret for judging Noah so harshly. He may not be the monster I feared. Andrew's eyes soften as he continues, "You're getting married next Thursday. You need to trust him."

I wipe a stray tear and lean forward to kiss Andrew on the cheek. "Thank you," I say sincerely. He nods, opens the door, and I hear Noah's impatient footsteps retreating. I gather myself, clearing my eyes from the remnants of tears, and find Noah waiting, his phone still pressed to his ear.

"I'll call you later," he says abruptly, ending the call and turning to face me. His expression is unreadable, but I see a flicker of something—maybe concern?

"I'll forgive you, but on one condition," I say, crossing my arms and meeting his gaze with a steely resolve.

He gives me a skeptical look, "Oh? And what might that be?"

"First," I hold up one finger, "You won't boss me around. Second, I'm not doing my hair or makeup for the ball. Third, I want to call Ava. And fourth, you teach me how to use a gun."

Noah's eyes narrow as he steps closer, his scent enveloping me—woody and deep, it makes me catch my breath. "One: That's not one condition; it's several. Two: You need to follow my instructions for your own safety. Three: I'll think about you calling Ava. Four: Absolutely not. You're leaving in a couple of weeks, remember?"

His words cut deep, more than he realizes. "We'll see," I say, forcing a confident smile. I have plans, and I'm determined to see them through.

---

"Rowan, give me my cupcake; you've already eaten six!" Daniel's voice is a mix of frustration and hunger as he chases Rowan. I step in front of Rowan, a mischievous plan forming in my mind.

"Rowan, hand over the cupcake, and we'll make a deal," I say, raising an eyebrow.Rowan huffs and hands the cupcake to Daniel. "Thanks, belly," Daniel says with a grin, giving me a new nickname.

"Follow me," I command, leading Rowan to my room. I close the door behind us and sit beside him on the bed.

"I want you to teach me how to use a gun," I say, my tone firm and non-negotiable.Rowan's eyes widen in shock. "No way! Noah will kill me if he finds out."

"Rowan, if you don't teach me, I might be the one who kills you," I threaten, my anger palpable. Rowan's eyes dart around, clearly unsettled.

I take a deep breath and switch tactics. "It's a shame. I was planning to make your favorite apple pies as payment. Oh, and you haven't tried them yet," I tempt him.

Rowan's eyes light up, his resolve wavering. "Wait," he finally says, standing up. "Noah will really kill me though."

"Fine, but you'll be rewarded with some of my best baking," I say, giving him a hopeful smile.

"We start after the ball," Rowan agrees, a hint of relief in his voice. "We need to keep this as secret as possible."

"Don't worry," I assure him. We exchange a high-five, sealing our pact. I feel a thrill of satisfaction as we finalize our plans.

We exit the room, and I head to the library, eager to lose myself in my studies. The thought of Noah and his world lingers, but for now, I'm focused on my own path.

Why am I obsessing over him? It's complicated. But I need to stay focused—there's a lot more at stake than just my curiosity.