Chapter one

Isabella's POV:

Isabella's POV:

Another exhausting day is about to start at the bakery. I knew that as soon as my alarm rang, I hurried up and changed my clothes to a white sweater and blue denim with white converse, not before brushing my teeth and fixing my hair.

I grabbed my backpack, which contained my notebooks and pens, and headed to the bus stop.

I took the bus; luckily, it wasn't as crowded as usual because I was early when I arrived. I stood in front of the bakery with the big sign 'Golden Bakery'; it was amazing. It was 8:30 am, and we usually open at 9:30.

I met Ava before entering, and she was still wearing her pijama. ''I didn't have time to properly get ready, and I was about to miss the bus, so I just came with my pijama. I will change. I came late at night from the club yesterday'' Ava said while rushing to the washroom.

"Good morning to you too,'' I said sarcastically.

Ava is my best friend and my partner at work. She's the badass type of friend; she parties, gets drunk, has sex with guys, etc.

I work in New York, especially in Brooklyn, one of the best cities in the world. I was born in South Carolina, and I moved to New York City after my father's death.

My father was my only family member, and he was my best friend and the only one I cared for. He died when I was 18; he worked as a taxi driver, and he worked all day. I barely saw him or spent time with him due to his long working hours; we only got to spend time during his day off, which was Sunday.

When I heard of my dad's death, I got traumatised; the earth stopped spinning, I got sweaty, and I felt cold; it didn't feel real; my stomach got tangled and I couldn't breathe; he died in a car accident; I went through a panic attack; and Ava was the only one who stayed with me and took care of me.

During his funeral, I could see everyone's pity in their eyes, and I didn't want anyone to consider me weak or have sympathy for me.

My mom left us when I was born. I didn't get to know my mom; I didn't even see her face or her features. When I was 3, I saw my dad holding a picture of them at their wedding, and I could see the sorrow in his eyes. ''Don't worry, dada, I am here for you. We don't need anyone else. We are enough for each other'' I showed up there and patted his shoulder confidently. He looked at me and hugged me tightly, and I always saw the warmth in his eyes. He was the most loyalist man I ever saw. We got through ups and downs together.

I could swiftly feel a touch on my shoulder. ''Is everything okay? You've been daydreaming forever.'' Ava said, swiping the tear that fell from my eyes without my noticing.

Ava has been my best friend since day one; she has amazing hazel eyes; we knew each other in grade three; we went to the same school; we became friends during art class when a boy called Ben made fun of her mother's work because he believes that women shouldn't work and should stay at home cleaning and cooking.

Ava's mother works as a nurse, and her dad works in Germany; he sends them a good amount of money every month.

When that jerk Ben made fun of her mother, Ava started tearing up, and tears fell from her eyes. Honestly, I couldn't control my anger issues, so I threw my canvas at him. I forgot to mention that I was drawing a donkey, so his face was placed above the donkey's neck, which made everyone burst into laughter.

''I just remembered dad; I miss him so much'' I replied while sniffling.

She patted my shoulder and said, "I made you your favourite..."

I cut her off. ''What is that smell?''

We glared at each other for a second.

''The kitchen is burning'' we screamed at the same time. As soon as we realised this and ran to the kitchen, I opened the oven when black steam raced out, and Ava hurried and opened the small window above the oven.

When I took the tray out, I was amazed by the charcoal black figure that was placed in the tray.

We looked at each other and exploded in laughter.

We spent the next 2 hours cleaning the kitchen, and I came to know that Ava baked a chocolate cake for me to cheer me up, but she failed. I still appreciate her trying.

We restocked the items and baked fresh pastries.

It was 11:00 am in the morning, so I decided to study a bit. I study interior design.

Ava was sitting on the sofa beside me, eating a croissant she had just baked for breakfast. I don't normally eat breakfast, which sometimes makes me feel sick, but I just can't accept anything entering my mouth in the first five hours of me waking up.

Luckily, we have a 3-week midterm holiday.

As soon as I grabbed my notebooks from my backpack, I saw a huge figure entering the shop. The man was wearing a suit, and he had brown eyes. He looked very serious, and he had bold features. There were two huge men following him; honestly, they looked fine.

He was tall.

very tall.

He was about 6'4 tall, and he smelled amazing; the woody, smokey, and spicy scent filled the place.

He looked in his mid-20s, and something about him struck me; he had dark brown hair that was fluffy, and his brown eyes looked amazing as they stared into mine. We locked eye contact for a brief moment.

I was pulled in by that warm gaze. I snap out of my thoughts when he speaks.

''Do you work here?''