Chapter Ten - A captive love

A captive love, that's exactly what I had in Andy. She didn't want to be here, and she sure as hell didn't want to be with me. Every morning that first week I had gone to her door and knocked, to be told "leave me be"

Would I wear her down eventually?! Would she one day have the door open and waiting for me?! I was feeling less and less like it was ever likely to happen, but then centuries had a way of changing things. I had to hope she would change her mind about me, to see one day that I had only wanted to keep her safe, that I had loved her... whether she hated me or not... I loved her.

***
"I'm sorry about the party.." I begin, apologising to an unenthused Cricket and Robin who sit opposite me at a dawn breakfast "you were right to warn me about Andy and Luna. I never want either of you to feel like I don't value your friendship. It's all I've ever had... and I don't want it to suffer just because of Andy"

Cricket looks like she's sitting on hot coals, she can't keep still with her agitation.

"We've been here every day for eight years... seen you through the heartache and supported your journey to the crown... and yet you pluck her back out of obscurity and thrust her into the role of Queen consort without even telling us. A girl who couldn't hate you more Rowan... is now to take your hand... you are on a one way track to your demise. You know that don't you?! She will betray you at her earliest convenience and take that crown for herself... why don't you see it"

Robin sits forward entering the conversation for the first time, no doubt with the words of wisdom, the peacemaker always between cricket and I.

"Our role as ladies in waiting has always been to support the Princess... formally, and always with a responsibility to keep you safe. That's what this is Rowan, we are doing our job, voicing our concerns. As your friend I want the same ... but I also know how much Andy means to you. It's not like I hadn't noticed her portrait is still in your bedside drawer"

I look down to my lap, pinking a little in the cheeks with embarrassment. I had no idea anyone knew I still had that. It wasn't as if I took it out and looked upon it often, only moments when the missing got too much and the knot in my stomach tightened.

"I missed you both this last week" I confess, and I look back up, finding them both looking to me with concern. "And I know it's not a traditional choice that I made. It's been made abundantly clear that everyone thinks I made the wrong choice. In fact I am about to take a meeting with the counsel and my father... apparently the five kingdoms are responding to the news of my intended, with mixed reviews too"

"What do you mean" cricket asks, tucking her raven curled hair behind one ear whilst she worriedly searched my features for the answer.

"Thistle have moved their army to the northern borders... they began their approach last night. Valendoor sent word at dawn. Queen Sorcha seems to think this is my first premeditated move on the kingdoms. How she thinks me taking Andy for a Mate is a direct attack on the kingdoms is beyond me"

Cricket shakes her head and stands to look out of the window of my chambers, down to Olamoore below, the birds were chirping as the kingdom awoke and dawn broke.

"This isn't good Rowan. Sorcha is making it known that she is watching your every move... and every decision you make from now going forward will be met with a threat of war"

"What would you have me do Cricket" I ask raising my voice "take another mate because of a little power trip up north. Like you said yourself... everything I do now will be scrutinised. Even if I married Saiph or Castor... it wouldn't change a thing. Sorcha wants my head... and she will find a way to come and get it... whether I play by the rule book or not"