Chapter Nine - The Oak

Every time I think I couldn't hate her more, she proves me wrong.

Rowans guard refuse my exit of the party to go find Luna, instead they strong arm me out of the door. This is quite clearly exactly what Rowans currently selling it to be... a prison.

Rowan takes a seat beside her father as I look back over my shoulder across the great hall. She and her brothers toast the engagement with the court elite, including my own family. They create the distraction, all eyes on them, explain I am feeling a little unwell, whilst I am removed so I don't embarrass them further.

As I am escorted to the Oak, flanked by four guards and Sycamore who leads the way... I feel it, metal against my flesh, a little click and it is clasped before I can even register and pull my hand away. An iron bracelet...

My magic was rendered useless.

"Remove it this instant" I shout.

Sycamore doesn't even turn to acknowledge me. He leads us up to the grand entrance of the Oak and gestures for the guards to bring me inside.

"Rowans branch" he directs the two largest of them "the Royal chambers beside the Princess's. Have her locked inside until Rowan returns" he instructs them.

"You little crook... I should have turned you to ash years ago" I curse as I'm jostled past him. I try and reach for him but am bundled into the lift.

Sycamore stands, hands on hips as he watches me being held back, and he smiles "Oh Andy... you never learn. What Rowan wants... Rowan gets... and for some god forsaken reason and despite my pleas... she's wants the most unruly and displeasing little sprite in the kingdom"

I lunge for him, but hands grab me tightly and hold me firmer, it hurts.

"Where is Luna" I demand "tell me"

"She's having a moonlit stroll for one in the forest... she's quite safe... I left her with a lamp"

"You look so smug" I say through gritted teeth "but I'm not sure how long you would have that smile on your face for if Rowan knew you helped keep me away" I threaten angrily.

Sycamore rolled his eyes and stepped closer, his squeaky little voice was something I detested. I heard it in my nightmares more often than not. "She's to go to Windlere" it was an echo of a moment that I knew was real, and it had happened despite my wishing it hadn't. I kept myself one step removed from that time in my life to survive the memory of it. The scars though, they stayed. Physical and emotional ones.

"If you tell her that... you will be forced to tell her everything. I don't think you want to tell her everything" he reminded me.

"Best leave it in the past and move on. If I can give you one piece of advice Andy... stop struggling and let it happen. You can live quite happily in the Oak. You and I both know Rowan is the best of the bunch as far as her mercy and leniency is concerned. I'm sure she will allow you to live quite the grand and independent life here, even if you never do truly accept her hand"

"And what of the past..." I ask "what will happen now we are to be wed and I am to live here. I will be known now... be a member of the royal family. Someone might recognise me from Windlere. I'm not sure it will stay hidden Sycamore... what if it is used against Olamoore"

He considers that and runs his hand over his pointy little chin. I look down to him and fret, that this was about to get so much worse.

Secrets were like poison ... they seeped inside of you and killed you so slowly you didn't see it coming or witness the subtle changes.