15

"Get on!" Tsireya yelled, making her way to us on her ilu. Lo'ak wasted no time swimming towards it, obviously in hopes of getting near my sister.

I forced myself to smile at that, knowing in any other situation I'd be sneering, wincing slightly. "Come on guys." The young boy yelled to us.

"I'm shot."

FAO's POV

FAO's POV

"I'm shot."

My breaths came in short pants, my eyes widening as I stared at a grimacing Neteyam.

"Shit!"

Neteyam quickly swam over to me as I struggled to keep myself floating, pushing tightly on the gaping wound that was colouring the water red. I grabbed onto Neteyam's shoulders, screwing my eyes shut as my head begun to spin.

"Fao, I got you! Come on!" Neteyam whispered against my hair, before turning and yelling at Spider and Lo'ak to hurry up and stay close behind me. I grunted in pain as I was hauled onto Tsireya's ilu. I felt my body hunch forward, and I relied only on Spider holding me upright as Neteyam mounted the ilu.

"Holy shit..." Spider mumbled under his breath as I felt myself wince and groan in pain. I could feel my own sticky blood coating my hands, and for a fleeting moment the thought of not making it past tonight made me freeze in terror.

"Shut the fuck up." Neteyam growled over his shoulder, as he directed the ilu to safety. My hand was flung over the boys shoulder, held in place with his iron grip as my face dropped onto his back.

My energy was slowly coursing out of my body, and my movements became delayed and messy. I couldn't think straight, my mind muffled by the pain shooting in my chest and down my back as I struggled to breath.

I'd like to think that during my short life, I had experienced enough pain that would make me almost immune to any pain, however as the ilu harshly made its way to wherever Neteyam was leading it, I felt my whole entire body scream in protest.

"Teyam." My voice was raspy and thick with tears, foreign to my ears and for I moment I didn't even think that was me speaking. My body was heavy and slumped against his back as my frail body was racked with sobs.

"Shh Fao, you're going to be okay beautiful. I'm not going to let anything happen to you." His voice was music to my ears as my world tilted and a loud ringing noise evaded my senses. I felt myself slowly lose grip of my consciousness, choking out a small, "I feel sick," before feeling myself slip into deep sleep.

NETEYAM's POV

"Get sick all over me. I don't care what you do, just be okay." I urged Fao, feeling tears brim my eyes at the sound of my girls strained voice. The girl who had always put on such a strong front, and had never allowed herself to show any emotions, was now slumped on my back and bleeding out.