9

My eyes widened and I tried to frantically push past my dad to see if she was okay-- to see if Kiri was alive, but he grabbed ahold of me and started directing me back home again. I kicked the floor and tried to stop us, but I was no use against his strength. "You're still grounded."

"She's my friend! I must know she's okay!" I yelled, and my dad just pushed me into the dark shack, making me snarl at him.

"She's okay. Your mother has it under control." Was all he said before slamming the door behind me, leaving me in complete silence and darkness.

FAO's POV

FAO's POV

The sound of a horn blaring teared me from my self deprecating thoughts, as my siblings ran out of the shack. At this point, I did not care that I was grounded-- my parents couldn't stop me from seeing my Tulkun Atulzey, my spirit sister. I quickly followed after them, diving into the water and calling my ilu before jumping on her.

"The tulkun have returned! Everybody, our brothers and sisters have returned!" My sister yelled, waving her hands and I quickly stopped my Ika my ilu in her tracks as I saw Neteyam walking out of his shack, staring at the tulkun in pure awe.

"Get on, you don't want to miss this!" I yelled to him, waving my hand at him. He looked at me, and it seemed as though he was shocked to see me. He shook his head slightly before grinning and diving into the water. He waited for a moment to get on Ika, my ilu and just stared up at me.

"What is it?"

"I'm just happy to see you."

I smiled at him as he jumped on Ika, wrapping his arms around my waist, and I quickly sped in the water, excited to see Atulzey after so long. Her absence had left a hole in my chest.

The sight of the tulkun swimming towards us and jumping towards the sky made me throw my head back and laugh in pure and unfiltered happiness and joy. The sounds of their calls to us made my anticipation grow more if possible.

"Look!" I pointed in front of us at a large tulkun, that made me grin so hard my cheeks hurt. "It's my spirit sister!" As if she heard me, Atulzey let out a loud sound, flapping her fin towards us. I turned to see Neteyam staring in awe, before he laughed loudly.

I dove my ilu underwater, as we both watched all the tulkun swimming below the surface. I jumped off Ika, Neteyam following as I was reunited with Atulzey. I grabbed onto her fin, and brushed a soft hand against her face, delighted in the way she closed her eyes at my touch.

"I've missed you." I signed to her, before she called out to me replying about how she had missed me too. I turned to Neteyam with a big smile, proud that he was able to see me with my spirit sister.

After awhile, Neteyam and I split up as he was dragged away by Lo'ak. I floated near Atulzey, before signing to her with a smile. "That boy will be the death of me."

⋆。°✩⋆。°✩⋆。°✩⋆。°✩⋆。°✩

Neteyam and I sat close to each other on our rock, staring at the star filled sky. I was no longer grounded, thankfully, however I was still expected to keep away from Neteyam. I was rarely good at following the rules.

The only sound was the crashing of waves, and the chatter of people onto the shore and those hunting in the ocean.

"A village was burnt to the ground, far South." Neteyam whispered, keeping his gaze forward. "They were looking for us. They burnt their home, trying to find us." His voice got stuck in his throat, and I knew he was feeling guilty. Feeling guilty that his existence-- his safety led to the disaster of others.

I nuzzled my face into the side of his, wrapping my arms around him in an attempt to comfort him. "You cannot blame yourself for the actions of the sky people, Neteyam. It'll kill you." I muttered, trailing my fingers in between his braids on his scalp, watching as he closed his eyes in relaxation. "None of this is your fault. None of it." I stated strongly and he let out a loud sigh.

"I can't help feel that it is." My nose flared and I sat up, grabbing the sides of his face and forcing him to look at me. The look of sadness and guilt in his face was nearly enough to break me, but I forced myself to be strong for him.

"You came to us for protection, and we will continue to protect you and your family no matter what. We will protect you from the sky people, and as many others as we can. You are not at fault for their actions." He searched my face for any semblance of a lie, and looked down at his hands when he couldn't find one. I leaned my forehead against his, breathing in the scent of him.

"You'll protect my family and your people from them, but who will protect you?" He asked, placing a dark blue hand on my cheek, and I couldn't help but lean into his touch. For a moment I thought-- who would protect me if war came to the Metkayina? Besides my parents and siblings, I was essentially responsible for everyone else's safety, and no one was responsible for mine.

"I'm a warrior, Neteyam. I protect myself, which also means I'm dispensable, chief's daughter or not." I whispered, and felt like a bucket of cold water was thrown on my head when Neteyam abruptly pulled away from me.

"Don't say that." He shook his head, his nose flaring and his breaths becoming ragged. "Never say that you're dispensable. You're no where near that." His accented voice harshly whispered to me and I just shrugged.

As a soldier for the Metkayina, I was raised to believe differently, but I'll let Neteyam think otherwise, if only to soothe him.

"Fine," I whispered into the darkness, twirling one of his braids around my finger. "We then protect each other."

1063 words.

A/N

HEY GUYS! NETEYAM AND FAO FINALLY GETTING CLOSER THEY'RE SO CUTE I LOVE THEM I WANT WHAT THEY HAVE THEY'RE MY FAVES.

But unfortunately Quaritch comes into the mix soon, and who knows he may ruin that for them. 🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️

and as I keep on mentioning (i'm annoying) I just released a Lo'ak x OC story, so go read it 🤬🤬 tyanks i love you 😚

If any mistakes are present, please lmk!

I hope this chapter was up to your standards <3 (even though I feel like it was a bit of a filler chapter but whatevs)

Don't forget to share, comment, follow, and vote, and I hope you all enjoyed and I'll see you next chapter. ✩