12

"Tell the tulkun." He yelled, and I felt as though a weight was lifted off of my shoulder. "Go!" My mother loudly stated after him. "Go!" I quickly glanced at Neteyam, before running towards him and wordlessly grabbing his arm.

We pushed our way through the crowds, and in that moment, all I could think about was Atulzey. 

FAO's POV

FAO's POV

I walked behind Neteyam as we followed Lo'ak to the edge of where water and land meet. My eyes zoned in on his faraway back, and prayed he wasn't about to do what I suspected of him. Apparently I wasn't the only one worried for Lo'ak when he made the calling sound to his ilu and geared him up, as Neteyam walked up faster to him, calling out to Lo'ak. 

"No way you're rolling out the deep baby brother." Neteyam said, humour dripping from his voice as he strode to the boy. I leaned up against a large tree as the tension started to fill the air, so heavily I could slice it with a knife.
"I have to warn Payakan." Lo'ak tried to explain as I watched silently from a distance. This was something for the two brothers to work out, and I honestly felt as though I was intruding. 

I could tell that Neteyam was starting to get annoyed at Lo'ak, but in the face of his younger brother tried to stay cool and collected. "No. You have to keep your skxawng ass here." 

Lo'ak was feeling just as annoyed at his brothers disposition with him going out to the reef to save his spirit brother. I understood where he was coming from of course, and imagined Atulzey in Payakan's position, but right now was not the time to leave the safety of the Metkayina. "He's outcast! There's nobody to warn him but me!" 

"Bro..." Neteyam softly smiled, placing a large hand on his younger brothers head.  "Why do you always have to make things so hard?" He asked, and Lo'ak's face turned furious, as he angrily pushed Neteyam's hand from him, taking several steps away from him as though he was poison. 

"No." He whispered, before looking up at his brother with fury in his yellow eyes. "You mean why can't I be the perfect son like you?" I could tell those words were like a stab in the heart to Neteyam as he angrily pursed his lips, his nose flaring. "The perfect little soldier." In frustration, Neteyam tried to hold himself back from doing anything he may regret, his braids swinging side to side frantically. 

"Well I'm not you!" Yelled Lo'ak, unconcerned with his brother getting up in his face. "Okay? I'm not you. He's my brother. I'm going." Lo'ak pointed to the ocean and I took a sharp intake of breath at his words. I'd like to think he was only saying this out of anger, and didn't mean anything that came from his mouth. He angrily turned away from Neteyam, who just stared at him in shock.