Chapter 18 - Only You

Start from the beginning

"He's not that bad," Clemont tried to defend him. Serena watched attentively when his eyes scurried away, and his adam's apple went up and down as he swallowed. He laughed awkwardly, the same kind he always did when he got nervous, all the while seeming to consider how to answer. "It depends on the atmosphere and the people around him."

It was pretty spot on.

"I should—" Serena tucked her hair behind her ear, breathing in slowly. She was still shaking, adrenaline continuing to pump through her veins, and it wouldn't stop. "—Maybe go say hi?"

"Who are we to say no?" She got a titter from Dawn as a reply, and a set of excited, short-lasting hand claps. "Of course! Seems like he came here for you."

"She's not wrong." Drew shrugged, signaling with his thumb by pointing back to where Ash was alone talking with his roommate. "He doesn't know anyone else."

"Okay," Serena breathed, letting the air fill her lungs, trying to seem more confident. "I'll catch up with you guys in a bit and again, thank you for the flowers."

She watched as Dawn's eyes widened softly, and a smirk yanked on her lips. Dawn spoke under her breath—something about her prayers finally being answered. Suddenly, she winked, nudging Serena's shoulder gently.

"No need to worry," she tells her, her bubbly personality speaking volumes. "Good luck!"

"Right. Thank you." She waved slowly and swallowed air, gathering the courage to get her legs to walk towards the boy.

She took a deep breath, clutching the flowers to her chest as she attempted to predict what he would say. Ash was pretty unruly and often surprised her; it was next to impossible to tell what he would do.

Stopping directly in front of him, along with the other boy who accompanied him, she smiled. "Hey, I'd like to thank you for coming."

"No problem." Gary said smoothly, nudging Ash. The side of his lip bucked up, and his profile pointed sideways at Ash. "I'll catch up with you back at the room." He grinned back at her, beginning to move away from the two. "You were great, Serena!"

"Oh? Thank you," she said nervously. He was leaving her alone with Ash. Did he want to talk to her alone? Why was the question that she wouldn't seem to put together. She started to glance around, not knowing where to begin. "I'm surprised you-"

"Why didn't you tell me about this, Serena?" He questioned, his eyebrows formed downwards as his face turned into a frown.

She gasped, confused—if not possible—more than she already was. Her throat had shut so tight, her voice practically didn't come out right when she spoke. "What?"

"Why didn't you tell me you had a performance?" He repeated, immediately—impatiently. "I heard about it from Clemont. Even my roommate, Gary."

Serena took a moment to process everything. Had he come to just yell at her for not telling him about this? He was impossible at times. "When was I supposed to tell you? You didn't give me a chance," she snapped back. "You went out the studio after arguing with Drew."

Ash exhaled, something tugging in the corner of his mouth. He kept staring at her for another second before responding. "He was being an ass and managed to ruin our lesson at the same time."

She blinked, looking at him incredulously. For gods sake, it was exhausting. Was he mad their time together felt ruined? Or—

"If that's the case, fine, I'm sorry," She glanced at him and then away. She eyed her flowers, him, and then nothing at all. She clutched the boutique to her chest. "For wanting him to help you."