Their hair was dripping wet as I got them onto the ice, which began cracking under their weight. I needed to get out, away from the middle of the lake. Paige's and my family remained at a distance, my father standing ready to run towards us, but hesitating. It was only good- goddess forbid he tried to come to our aid and ended up going through the ice as well.

I needed to get them off the fragile ice. But getting onto it along with them, the ice needing to support not only them, but my wolf form as well... we'd go right back down. I'd caught my breath, but I couldn't be sure that neither Paige nor Austin had.

A second later, my bones shrunk in my skin. My skin smoothed, the fur disappearing back underneath, my face returning to its normal shape.

The second my arms were back to normal, I gathered all the strength that I had and pushed first Austin, sending him skitting across the ice towards my father. Afterwards, I gave Paige the same forceful push, her limp form skittering across the ice to where it was thicker, and bore no risk at breaking. I leaned over the ice, the skin of my stomach and chest tight and pointed against the cold. With a groan, I dragged myself onto the ice, a couple feet forward and away from the hole.

My body gave in, the cold and the exhaustion winning. I lay flat against the ice, my back to the sky. I watched as each of my breaths appeared in the air, little clouds puffing from my mouth.

I don't know how long it was before my mother came running, a coat laid over me. "Oh no no, my sweet Ally boy, oh no no..." she whispered, running her hand through my dripping wet hair. Already, I felt it hardening in the frost.

I looked up at her through the corner of my eye. "Paige...?" I couldn't muster the energy to say both their names, although I wanted to. I'd want to die if Paige was gone, but Austin... I'd never me the same. Never. My little brother, my annoying as fuck little brother who always wanted to hang out with me while I still lived at home. The curly haired little weirdo I'd somehow been related to.

She bit her lip, looking back towards the shore. "I... I don't know, Ally, your grandmother is on her way. She's gonna pick the others up and drive them home. We'll drive the three of you to the hospital, it's faster than waiting for the ambulance. But we need to get you back onto steady ground. The ice isn't safe." She said, and tried to turn me around, to roll me onto the blanket she'd laid out next to me. Once I was on the blanket, she covered me once again with the coat and began to drag me to shore. Second later, she was joined by my father, who helped drag me the rest of the way.

I closed my eyes, breathing deeply. No water had gotten into my lungs. I was just cold. No need to worry. I wanted to tell my father, but my mouth, my body... nothing would move.

Panicked voices ran all around.

My father and two of my sisters lifted me into the car, laying me down on the back seat, sandwiched between the seat and Paige. I couldn't see Austin.

My father got into the front seat, my mother getting in through the passenger door. She had Austin in her lap, sitting against her. Her breathing was shaky, and the water was still dripping off of us. As soon as the door shut behind her, we were pressed back into the seats as the car accelerated at extreme speed.

Paige's body shook beside mine whilst she coughed, pinkish slime flying from her mouth and onto me and the seat. My eyes stung with tears, but I was too tired to even move my arm - I wasn't even certain that I could aim it right, were I to move it.

My mind couldn't comprehend what was going on, couldn't form steady thoughts. The car was moving, and Paige was against me. Usually, I'd warm her when we laid like this. She'd snuggle against me, and I'd kiss her hair, and we'd be safe and warm.