Chapter 12

In the eyes of the crowd of Hua Sect disciples, Sect Leader Hua Zhaoting hadn’t touched his sword for a very long time.

After the fall of the Immortal Capital, the cultivators who were closest to ascending became the most powerful individuals in the human realm. One could not afford to be their enemy.

Although devils have been rampaging about recently, growing more savage and fearless each year, every devil extermination attempt has always relied on the force of an assembly of multiple sects. Occasions that actually required Hua Zhaoting to seriously draw his sword were extremely rare.

The last time Hua Zhaoting drew his sword was a long, long time ago in the Jiaming Wilderness.

Hua Zhaoting cultivated the path of the sword. Although he was normally dignified and courteous when he spoke, polite and accommodating, that was only because he had been a sect leader for too long. His temperament was a result of spending all day dealing with matters among sects.

Anyone who has seen him attack knows that his sword cultivation carried a natural elation and aggression that pierced through the heavens.

Among those who were close to ascension, although he wasn’t the most powerful, he was truly extremely hard to provoke.

And at this moment, when the golden ray of sword pierced through the clouds, the disciples of Hua Sect heard a loud, metallic clang. The sound rang across the entire Peach Blossom Island — Hua Zhaoting had drawn his sword!

Immediately, the disciples could feel their blood boiling.

Those who were at the Jiaming Wilderness back then still remembered the sword’s astounding elegance and his imposing manner.

To be able to witness it for a second time was truly a blessing.

Thus, all the disciples present flicked their wrists, instantly drawing out countless flying swords! Together with Hua Zhaoting, they all pointed their swords towards the giant golden sword coming from above.

But the second they sent their swords flying, the disciples’ expressions suddenly changed!

Because they saw Hua Zhaoting’s sword…

No.

This sword isn’t right!

This thought flashed across everyone’s mind.

The cool and bright sword aura surrounding his sword was nowhere to be found, and instead, what covered him was red spider-like silk, from the sword handle to the rest of his body. The people who were standing close to him could even smell a fishy sweet odor coming from his sword.

In addition, the second he drew his sword, all the skin bags, heads, and leftover parts of the devils underground all went into an uproar.

Something’s not right!

It’s seriously not right!

There’s something wrong with the sword!

Tumbling waves crashed in the crowd’s hearts, but immediately after, another thought arose in their heads—

What if the problem doesn’t lie in the sword?

What if… the Sect Leader that had led them this entire night in pursuit to catch the devils wasn’t really planning to exterminate them, but was instead on a pilgrimage, like the rest of the devils and Mr. Yi Wusheng?

For the past twenty-five years, all of the disciples on Peach Blossom Island would go to the Punishment Hall in the morning and evening of every day. This was done to prevent anyone possessed by a devil from mingling with them. Even the Punishment Hall Elder himself was no exception to getting tested.