Chapter 2

Canglang Northern Territory.

In the moment that the golden water lily burst open, the cultivators were blasted with no time for preparation. The invisible compulsion[1] was like the ocean exploding outwards a thousand kilometers, beating everyone back a great distance away.

The swords and spiritual weapons of the closest individuals were all cracked and splintered, immediately ruined.

“Cough, cough… Sect Leader.” A small disciple fought his way out from the snow. Pressing his chest, he wanted to use his sword to prop himself back up, but he found that only a handle was left in his hands.

“Sect Leader, my sword…”

For some of these disciples, their sword was more important than their life. Especially for the main sword cultivation sect, the Feng Sect.

That small disciple was indeed from the Feng Sect.

“Throw it away, cast another one when we return.” Feng Juyan didn’t even look at him, her gaze still landing a great distance away, her brows tightly furrowed.

As the sect leader, she naturally didn’t fall pitifully to the ground. Instead, she held her long sword in front of her body, blocking most of the compulsion. Though she stood perfectly straight, blood still seeped from between her fingers, dripping into the design of her sword.

The small disciple saw the color of blood and was instantly alarmed.

He had just entered the sect, so he didn’t know much. This was his first time seeing the Sect Leader bleed: “Sect Leader, what exactly was that golden shadow, why is it so powerful?”

“That should’ve been the Water Lily of Life,” Feng Juyan said softly.

“Water Lily of Life?!”

The young disciples’ faces were filled with shock and suspicion.

Legend said that the Water Lily of Life was solely possessed by the Tianxiu Immortal. Because he managed punishment and pardon, death in one hand and life in the other, he had two mortal moves—one was to beckon dead souls, and another was to beckon all the living.

The Water Lily of Life was the former.

“We’ve only heard of it, but we’ve never seen it.”

“Who’s personally seen it? Everyone who’s seen it has died,” Feng Juyan said.

Besides, it was a mortal move.

The original intent of a mortal move was to trade one’s life for the move; the move required the complete dissipation of all spiritual energy. Even for the Tianxiu Immortal, the cost was still great, so the move wouldn’t be so easily used.

The last time it appeared was twenty-five years ago.

That day, Taiyin Mountain collapsed, the Immortal Capital was destroyed, and three thousand spiritual platforms crashed down from the sky, most sinking into the Boundless Sea.

Some said that the day the Taiyin Mountain collapsed, at the place closest to the Immortal Capital, the golden shadow of a water lily had cast down from above.

After that, the demon Wu Xingxue was sealed in the Canglang Northern Territory.

From then on, the Immortal City was no more.

After the Immortal City perished, the human realm fell into chaos, and catastrophe and plague rampaged across the land.

Only with the gathering of sects, with temples and divine statues erected like forests, could the people forcibly regain a sliver of peace.