8. People Don't Change

"Lae- Lord Laenor!" Alisha corrected as she walked. "Im-" again she faltered. He would know who she was. "I hadnt gotten to properly introduce myself and you and the princess have been busy the past moons... well I was... we are family. I would like to get to know you." Alisha declared and Laenor blinked back at her before a smile covered his handsome face.

"Of course your grace!"

"Please call me Ali." Alisha insisted.

"Ali... well Ali what would you like to know?"

"Mama!" Aegon shouted running up and colliding with her legs.

"Hi baby boy," alisha said as she picked Aegon up.

"Fine little prince you have." Laenor remarked.

"I think so too." Alisha agreed. "Can you say hello to Lord Laenor?"

"Laenor is fine. If we are being informal." Laenor offered with a wink and Alisha wasnt sure if he was flirting or just being nice. She decided he was just being nice as Aegon waved back at him.

"You know I was thinking..." alisha began as Aegon tipped his head into her. "Wouldnt it be lovely if we all went for a ride? Or perhaps had a family supper? I havent seen much of the princess and well... I know things have been difficult in the past but Im hoping to start a new leaf." Alisha offered.

"Im headed back out next moons end if its not one war its another." Laenor informed her.

"Oh and we are all so lucky brave warriors such as yourself are here to keep us safe." Alisha agreed. Laenor heard how much Rhaenyra bitched about Alicent but the woman before him was anything but a manipulative bitch.

"But I would love to join you for a family supper. I can talk to Rhaenyra." Laenor agreed.

"Oh wonderful. I will make pie or cake do you have a favorite? I can make anything you like." Alisha offered eagerly.

"I didnt know you cooked." Laenor countered and Alisha felt her breathing pick up as she stared back at him. "But im sure with becoming queen and then two children you didnt have much time for passions." Laenor added and Alisha nodded grateful for his interjection.

"Yes. Yes. But Im getting back into it. Aegon was going to help me with some cookies." Alisha remembered. "Right honey?"

"Yum." Aegon agreed as she ran a hand over his back.

"My sweet sweet boy" alisha coed kissing the top of his head. "Soon enough you will be having your own." Alisha realized.

"Yeah." Laenor agreed stiffly.

"Well you let me know what food you want and I will make sure I get the ingredients." Alisha offered before following his gaze. "You can bring your friend." Alisha offered. "Im sure you spend a lot of time with the men you train with. They must be like brothers to you."

"They are. We are." Laenor agreed. "Very close."

"Wonderful. I would love to learn more about the Velaryons." Alisha added. "I love the water but it is said you have a special way with the waves. Im sorry I sounded very-" alisha took a step back.

"No." Laenor corrected. "I would love to teach you show you... whatever you like." Laenor agreed.

"I heard your sister left country. I pray for her safety and your parents... they seem like lovely people." Alisha remarked.

"They are." Laenor agreed. "Laena is wed to Daemon and... I want her home. Shes my little sister I cant protect her if she is so far away." Laenor didnt know why he was saying all this but he felt a strange sense of comfort around Alisha. Everything rhaenyra had said was wrong. The woman in front of him was goodness and light.

"Are you close with your brothers?" Laenor questioned.

Im an only child and my last living relative was my gran who died and now Im not Alisha but the queen of the seven kingdoms.

Alicent had brothers. Alicent had brothers who she never saw and never spoke to. Alisha recalled this.

"No. I was at the capital with my father... from a young age. I envy your closeness you have with your sister."

+

"Shes a monster and you are letting her trick you," rhaenyra corrected.

"Im not and she is not." Laenor corrected.

"People dont just change!" Rhaenyra shouted back.

"Maybe she truly loves your father. Almost losing him... maybe-"

"Maybe nothing! She is a bitch. She wants my crown and she will turn you against me to do it!"

"Shes not turning anyone against you Rhaenyra." Laenor corrected. "She wants to make everyone supper,"

"To poison me." Rhaenyra agreed.

"Because she wants to get to know you again. After all this time hating her. You were best friends..."

Rhaenyra shook her head. People didnt change. Alicent was a monster trying to ruin her life. Turning her husband against her. What next? The crown passed onto Aegon.