CHAPTER 5 - An unexpected turn of events

Same place, different night. Once they got there, Isabelle and Amari went their separate ways. As Amari wiggled his way through the crowd, he noticed the prince staring at him. This was the last thing he wanted tonight. He was approaching him. He couldn't let the same thing happen twice. Swiftly, he blended into the crowd and ran to the halls. The prince couldn't find his mysterious princess.

"Lyanna now is your chance. Go and dance with him", Master Reginald told her.

"Yes Father", she replied as she walked towards the prince. A few feet away, she feigned a slip that drew the attention of the prince, unfortunately.

"Are you alright?" he asked worriedly.

"Yes, your grace. Forgive my clumsiness. I'm not accustomed to being amongst the noble, your highness", she replied.

"Pay no heed to my title. After all, we are all equal ", he said.

"I'm honored, your grace", she said.

Soon, he realized the floor had been cleared for the first dance of the evening. His masked princess was nowhere to be found. He had no choice but to dance with Lyanna. Her puffy red gown swayed gracefully with each dance move. A smile grew on Master Reginald's face. Finally, things were going according to his plan.

Isabelle managed to slip away and catch up with Amari. "Have you found her yet?" she asked.

"I can't even find the kitchen. How big is this place?" he complained. Suddenly, some guards were coming their way. They had to hide quickly. They went down the hallway on their left and hid behind some huge vases and armor.

"Did you hear something?" one guard asked the other." No! You might have heard Pierre. That dog never stays in one place" the other replied.

"That was close", Amari said. "Let's go". They ran and searched many doors hoping to find the kitchen and hoping not to get caught. Amari, opened one last door. "I found it", he cried. Isabelle rushed to his side and they both walked in.

" Hei! Hei! Hei! What are the two of you doing here? No one is allowed in here", an angry little man said.

"We are sorry. We did not mean to intrude. We were just searching for someone", Amari said.

"Yes, we are", Isabelle seconded.

"Who are you looking for?" the little man asked with a frown.

"We're looking for someone named Evangeline. She used to be friends with Camille. Camille Phallebery", he said. The frown on the little man's face faded slowly.

"She passed away last year. Goodbye!" he said and slammed the door shut.

"She passed away?" Amari asked in shock.

"What do we do now?" Isabelle asked. "Amari?" He was in shock. That was his only hope. Now that she's gone, how will he escape? "Are you all right? she asked.

"I'll be fine", he replied. They walked back to the ball and Lyanna was still with the prince. "Isabelle, I think I'll head home first. I need another plan", he said.

"Are you sure? I could come with you", Isabelle suggested.

"No, your parents and Master Reginald might start asking questions. I'll see you later tonight", he said. "Tomorrow, I'll leave"

"You will? But where to?"

"Anywhere but here. What matters is that I leave. Once and for all". They shared a hug for it might be their last.

"Be safe, my friend". With that, she walked back to her parents. Amari walked and took a seat at the fountain. He tried his best to not let his emotions take over. The sound of footsteps startled him and he quickly brought the fan back to his face. As soon as he turned, the prince was right in front of him. "My goodness! You gave me such a fright," he said.

Ruby Locket : Midnight's BallOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara