4

"How could you miss a dead body?" Wednesday asks skeptically when the sheriff comes into Nevermore the day after Rowan was murdered. Principal Weems walks behind them, leading them to her office so he can talk to Wednesday.

"'Cause it wasn't there," he fires back, "no footprints, no blood, no sign of a struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night."

"Well, your search party must have left their seeing-eye dogs at home," she insults, "I saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of me."

"Did you get a good look at this monster thing?"

"It didn't stick around for a chat," the Addams girl sarcastically answers.

"Maybe it was one of your classmates?" the sheriff suggests.

"Sheriff, I find that question offensive," Principal Weems says.

"Well, I don't care, 'cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue," he snaps, "Hikers just ripped apart in the woods."

"The mayor said those were bear attacks," the blonde woman says.

"Well, the mayor and I disagree on that."

"So you automatically assume a Nevermore student is the murderer, even though there's no evidence a crime was even committed?" she questions.

"I'm sorry. I forgot, you only teach the good outcasts here, right?" he says sarcastically. She sighs and ignores the normie, taking them into her office.

"My guess is Rowan ran away," Principal Weems starts, "after attacking Tana, he probably didn't want to get in trouble. State troopers have put out an alert, and I've contacted his family, but they haven't heard from him either."

"Dead people are notoriously bad at returning calls," Wednesday comments.

"What were you doing out in the woods with him, Miss Addams?" the sheriff questions.

"I heard a noise in the forest and went to go investigate," she lies, "That's when I stumbled upon the attack."

"Rowan attacking Tana?" he asks. She nods, "then what happened?"

"The monster attacked him. I ran back, stumbled into Bianca Barclay, and I told her to go for help," Wednesday answers, truthful in that part, "next thing I remember, I was awaking in my dorm."

"And just to be clear, this monster wasn't a bear or some other wild animal?" Sheriff Galpin questions.

"I've hibernated with grizzlies," she comments, "I know the difference. You can ask Tana too."

"Actually, Tana is... still in the infirmary," Principal Weems starts, "She has fourth-degree burns... thank you, Sheriff. I think Miss Addams is done now."

"Actually, I would like to speak to Sheriff Galpin. Alone," the girl says. The man turns his head to the young Addams girl.

"I'm not sure I can allow that," the blonde woman answers.

"I'm sure I could take her to the station and get a formal statement," the sheriff suggests, his interest peaked. Principal Weems doesn't budge, "yeah, let's go."

"Fine," she gives in, "You have five minutes, and everything is off the record. Play nice... or I will call the mayor."

The tall woman leaves the office, leaving Wednesday and Sheriff Galpin alone.

"Someone is trying to cover up Rowan's murder," she insists when the door is closed, "that's the only reason to scrub the crime scene."

"Is that your professional opinion as the daughter of a murderer?" he questions.