36. what happens now

"oh my god, finally. i feel like you've had it gone for ages," xavier murmured, leaning in closer to his friend.

"which is why i owe you an apology." wednesday commented.

the boy frowned. "what? no, no. you didn't do anything wrong. i'm just glad you're back to your normal self, and you have your memory back."

"i left you in the forest, xavier, instead of listening to you. you were right about tyler, and i shouldn't have gone with him. his death is my fault." the girl reluctantly admitted.

xavier's eyes widened and he shook his head. "no, no, no, no. his death wasn't your fault. we were all in it together. he tried to kill you and took advantage of you because he was a dick."

wednesday stared at him. "he wasn't blatantly evil, xavier. i am responsible for going with him and pushing you to come after me. i am responsible for the death of an innocent monster."

xavier couldn't believe what he was hearing and stood up, scoffing, "an innocent monster?! he lied to you for two months and tried to kill you, but now he's an innocent monster?!"

wednesday looked away from the emoting boy. "laurel gates took advantage of him too. he was treated as i was. it's no excuse for his actions, but he was innocent. there's no excuse for what we did to him. his father wasn't wrong about not hearing him out and acting rashly, but i believe the sheriff is manic now because of it. on the contrary, there is something else i need to speak with you about."

xavier let out a shaky breath and sat back on the bed next to hers. "okay, shoot."

wednesday still wouldn't meet his eyes. "i need you to try your best to show no emotion when i say this because i know you are not going to be a fan."

xavier shook his head, looking at her intensely. "i'm with you until the end, wednesday. i'm not going anywhere."

the girl wanted to believe him, but couldn't. "we are going to need to take a break from this... situationship. it is obviously taking too much from you and making you act rashly out of respect for nothing but romance."

the boy swallowed, a little angry and a little confused. "i don't want anyone else, wednesday. being separated from you isn't going to make things better- if anything it'll only make things worse. we tried it before and literally failed. we can't just be friends, and i know neither of us wanna just be friends either."

wednesday's eyes flickered to the floor to ceiling windows, wishing to be anywhere but where she was. "that will not work. this is an impulsive and bold statement, but it needs to be said. we are nothing. i can not be your friend, and you can not be mine. i can not be your girlfriend, and you can not be my boyfriend. from now on, i have never spoken to you in my life."

xavier shook his head, standing up, absolutely bewildered. "okay, wednesday, this is crazy! i'm not gonna just walk around school and act like i don't know you! i'm fucking in love with you!"

wednesday wouldn't meet his eyes.
"goodbye, xavier. you should go."

xavier did, in fact, leave, but his heart was crushed. he felt as if he was losing his one true love.

if there was no wednesday, life could not go on as it was.

there would he no more happy endings or butterflies.

there would only be  bitterness and wrath.

___________________________

the first few days were the worst...

wednesday was stuck in the infirmary with no one to talk to and only three visits from enid a day. eugene would pop by every once and while, but other than that, there was nothing but plain white walls and sunshine, which the girl was not a fan of.

xavier went to classes and archery per usual, but everything good and pure about the once happy boy had been rocked.
the dark circles began getting worse day by day because he couldn't sleep at night, he became irritable faster than the blink of an eye, and the only thing on his mind was a broken heart.

but everything changed once wednesday got out of the infirmary.

wednesday wouldn't dare to look at xavier in fear of how much she'd hurt him.
unfortunately, mrs. venus placed her right in the front row next to him once again in botanical sciences.

xavier would spend the entire class staring at wednesday with a happy smile on his face. everything got a little easier, a little better when she was around. it didn't make sense to anyone but himself.

one day, xavier accidentally touched wednesday's hand while getting his books out of his bag. "sorry," he mumbled, staring at the beauty intensely.

"you don't need to apologize," wednesday told him, avoiding eye contact.

xavier felt like his heart had jumped out of his chest and ran to the girl  like a little child. "i miss you," he hoarsely whispered.

that caught wednesday off guard. she had no choice but to be honest. "your absence in my life is depressing but necessary."

"i promise it's not necessary, wednesday. you'll see. i think you already do a little," xavier murmured, sketching in his science notebook.

wednesday considered his statement. "perhaps some day i will. but that day is not today. i shouldn't even be talking to you."

xavier's head snapped up. "why not?"

"unnecessary conversation leads to emoting. i'm terrible at it but it seems to be the only thing you completely understand," wednesday said, trying to push xavier away once more.

the boy shook his head with a childish grin. "i know what you're trying to do, and it's not working," he sang into her ear.

wednesday hated herself as her face betrayed her, coloring itself a new shade of splotchy redness. she had just blushed at his ridiculous comment.

it will work. it has to work. it always works wednesday thought to herself.

if it doesn't work, we may end up fancying each other again.

i am screwed.

xavier watched her with a sly, quiet smirk.

god, he thought to himself, and i thought i couldn't fall for her again. i'm an idiot.

a hopeless romantic idiot.