[Chapter 12]

"Well, we gotta get you a date," Alex said. I slumped back against the fluffy pillows of the bed as I contemplated my life choices.

"Is it mandatory?" I asked him.

"Yep," he replied. I flung the pillow across the room, causing pain to erupt throughout my upper body. I winced as I saw a load of bandages across my chest.

"Is it also mandatory to take a date?" I asked. He paused for a moment.

"Well, not exactly," he said. "But it is for you. Dude, you're Kylan Orval, the greatest wizard the Ivories have seen! You're gonna seem so lame if you don't have a date."

At that precise moment in time, Cora walked back into the infirmary. She smiled when she saw me awake. "How are you feeling?" she asked, coming up to me.

"I'm fine," I replied. "Hey, do you have a date or something?" She flushed red. 

"No," she responded. I smirked.

"Well, would you go with me?" I asked her. A smile on her face turned into a smirk.

"As friends, right?"

"Of course," I replied turning back to Alex with a smirk. "You were saying?" He looked at me sourly.

"Get up, we're going for a walk," he said. As soon as I tried to get up from the bed Cora pushed right back down.

"You're not going anywhere," she said. "Redrum gave you some nasty cuts. The spells he casted used sentient swords to slash you. When the malevolent blades slice you, the gashes are bewitched to widen for as long as the caster desires."

"I'm guessing Redrum still wants me to die of blood loss?" I asked her. She nodded. As if on cue, I felt the gashes open again. I winced in pain. Her eyes then strayed to my midsection where blood was seeping through the bandages.

"That reminds me," I winced. "I should probably get back to class."

"It's Saturday," Cora said as she took out her wand.

"Claudere!" she said. I exhaled a breath I didn't realize I was holding when I felt the wounds close. "Is that better?"

I nodded. "I've been out for a day?" I asked.

"More like fourteen hours," Cora replied.

 Alex simply snorted. "Well, I need a date so if you wouldn't mind, I need to go," he said before walking out.

"I should go too," I said.

"Did you hear a word I just said?" Cora asked. I rolled my eyes. I ignored the pain as I limped out of the bed.

"You need to get cleaned up before you go anywhere, you know!" Cora called. I snorted and snapped my fingers. 

I soothing feeling encased me as my outfit turned into a collard white long sleeve shirt with a black sweater vest over it with regular black pants. I snapped my fingers again and a black cloak materialized on my shoulders. I raked a hand through my hair as the faint scent of vanilla lingered in the air.

Cora laughed. "Did you just use magic to shower and get a new change of clothes?" she asked. I smirked.

"You got a problem with that?" I asked. "This is a school for magic." Cora shook her head at me.

"I'll see you tonight, I guess," she said. "Oh, I've wanted to ask you this for a bit, what's wrong with your hair and eyes?" 

She conjured a mirror and threw it towards me. I caught it and stared at my reflection. Nearly half of my hair had turned stark white and my eyes had grown to a nice shade of heather gray.