Fever

Kate woke with a jerk. She sleepily lifted her head to look at a sleeping Avery and sighed quietly to herself and let her head fall back onto the pillow. Kate was relieved that Avery hadn't puked anymore through the night, maybe her being there truly was helping Avery. It wasn't purely selflessness though, she wanted to be close to the younger woman. Any small amount of time with her meant everything to Kate. Avery made her laugh like no one else ever had and she had truly been a phenomenal coworker as well. They easily bounced off one another during script readthroughs, everything just came so easily with Avery. Kate moved her hand slightly against Avery's stomach. Kate paused realizing that Avery felt very warm. She lifted her hand and touched her forehead and suddenly Kate wasn't sleepy anymore. She quietly got out of bed and went to the bag that all of the medicine and stuff was in and grabbed the thermometer she had bought.

"Avery sweetheart." Kate gently spoke trying to wake her up. When Avery's eyes opened Kate spoke again. "I need to take your temperature, I think you've got a fever." Kate showed her the thermometer. "Open up for me?" Kate asked and Avery opened her mouth letting Kate stick the thermometer under her tongue. Kate watched worriedly as her temperature rose up to 38.7 Celsius. "38.7, bloody christ. I'm going to give you Tylenol to bring it down."

"What's it in Fahrenheit?" Avery groggily asked. Kate laughed softly.

"You Americans." Kate pressed the switch button on the thermometer. "101.7 and if I give you this Tylenol and it doesn't go down then I'm taking you to hospital."

"Ugh nooo." Avery whined and lifted her head for Kate to pop the medicine in her mouth and then held her head up as Kate put the cold drink of water to Avery's lips.

"Small sips. That's a good girl." Kate praised her and Avery's eyes widened in response. "You alright?" Kate asked as she got up from the edge of the bed to throw the styrofoam cup away. All Avery could do was nod and lie.

"The coldness just surprised me." But that wasn't why. The good girl comment had Avery, though sick, very aroused. Avery knew when it came to sex, she was a bottom, a complete submissive and she knew in that very moment Kate was definitely a top.

"Mhm, I made sure there was plenty of cold water in the fridge and when we wake up, I'll order you some soup and I have you some berry Gatorade. You need the electrolytes." Kate got back into bed and cradled Avery. "I just want you better."

'And I just want you' Avery thought to herself, melting into Kate. "I can't thank you enough Kate. This is the best I've ever been taken care of."

"Really? I'm just doing what I know. How my mum cared for me and how I care for my children. Did you never have that?" Kates fingers found their way into Avery's long dark hair.

"No, not really. My parents are very...self absorbed. My dad was a district judge for years in Sevierville Tennessee, my mom was a magistrate. They are part of a country club, church functions and my mom even has a ladies club. They have always been too busy. My two older siblings are their favorites because they are just like them. I'm very much a black sheep." Avery yawned and moved her head to rest on Kate's outstretched arm. "All of my family are too self absorbed. Always have been."

"What about your little brother?" Kate asked, her nails softly scratching Avery's scalp.

"He died. Brain injury from wrecking a four wheeler. He was with dad and some of his friends hunting and I'm not sure how dad thought letting a 13 year old kid drive an atv through mountain terrain was a good idea. He hit a tree and went over a cliff." Avery hadn't talked about Tanner in a long time but she kept him close through the necklace he got her.

"Oh Avery," Kate swallowed the lump in her throat and fought the tears in her eyes. "I can't imagine. I have great parents and yeah my sisters and brother get on my nerves but we have always been close. We lived in a two bedroom home, I think that's why we fought a lot because we were constantly on top of each other from the lack of space." Kate made a move and kissed Avery's temple. "But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Now you do have someone who cares. I care a lot. Now let's both get a few more hours of rest okay? You've got to get that temperature down." Kate continued to play with Avery's hair and they both fell silent and only minutes later they had both drifted back into sleep.