chapter nineteen | a helping hand

┏━━━✦❘༻✶༺❘✦━━━┓
CHAPTER NINETEEN
a helping hand
┗━━━✦❘༻✶༺❘✦━━━┛

┏━━━✦❘༻✶༺❘✦━━━┓CHAPTER NINETEENa helping hand┗━━━✦❘༻✶༺❘✦━━━┛

━━✦❘༻✶༺❘✦━━

(episode five - truth pt. 1)

TRAILS OF BLOOD led them to an abandoned train station. And when the trail stopped, Diana, Sam, and Bucky found John by the sound of his screams. It almost made Diana feel bad. He did just lose his bestfriend, his partner. Then she remembers the way he put that shield back on, blank faced, staring out into the crowd after forcibly removing a man's head from his body. Diana wouldn't care if John had just lost his mother, that was a disgusting display.

Approaching footsteps had Diana looking out in front of her. The blood soaked shield made her nauseous, she couldn't bear to look at it, and she could no longer stand seeing that man wear that shield. It was obvious it was never meant for his hands, Diana wished it didn't take a man's death for the world to see.

"Walker," Sam said, trying to gain the man's attention.

"You guys should see a medic, you don't look so good," John spoke nonchalantly, passing them by like they wouldn't try to stop him.

This was going to end in a fight. Diana just hopes she's able to hold back enough to not kill him herself.

"Stop, Walker," Sam warned.

John circled back, scoffing, like he had done nothing wrong.

"What, you saw what happened, you know what I had to do," John began to yell now, "I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar."

"He didn't kill Lemar, psycho," Diana spat, "He was behind you when Lemar was thrown into that pillar."

"Don't go down that road," Bucky spoke, a passive glare sent Diana's way from her use of words, "Believe me, doesn't end well."

"I'm not like you," John said, his voice low, disgust laced with his words.

"You're right, you're not," Diana stepped forward, spitting her words at him, "he didn't have a choice, you did."

"Listen, it was the heat of the battle, okay?" Sam tried to reason, "If you explained what happened, they may consider your record. We don't want anyone else to get hurt. John..."

There was a pause of silence, the blood was beginning to thicken up on the shield, close to drying, a little harder to get off.

"You gotta give me the shield, man," Sam spoke softly now.

John lifted his head, tilting it slightly. A chill ran down Diana's spine as she noted his blank expression and cold eyes that assessed the three of them.

"Oh," He almost smiled, "So that's what this is, you almost got me."

"You made a mistake."

"You don't want to do this."