Chapter 12 - Farther Than Closer

Start from the beginning

Serena folded her arms. "Well, why don't we show him then, just how well you're doing?"

She knew she should try and be normal. She didn't want her demeanor to come across strangely, especially in front of Professor Oak, but seeing Ash's face made her want to put him out. How can he come in here and act like nothing was wrong, like he was going to continue with things as they had been after what had been said. Even if he didn't know she heard every bit.

"'Course we should. I'll show him I'm doing amazing!" He grinned and rolled up his pants, walking to the middle of the floor. "Put on the music already!"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm the teacher. Therefore, you'll be listening to me."

"You were gonna do it anyway, right?" He asked with his eyes narrowing, but then didn't speak again as he flicked his gaze towards Professor Oak. The man hadn't moved from his position against the wall and his calm gaze stayed fixated on both of them.

"You'll do better if you let me count," she told him. "The music is faster and it might make you mess up more. If you want to show the professor that you're doing a good job, you'll let me count."

Again, why was she helping him? She was such an idiot. A sucker who had been roped in by the moments they had and parts of dancing with him she had seen glimpses of from time to time.

"Yes, ma'am," he mumbled sarcastically. "I got it."

Peering over his shoulder, she spoke to Professor Oak. "As I mentioned in my report, I've been working on teaching Ash a waltz. The timing is relaxing and it helps him focus."

Ash opened his mouth as if to protest, but immediately shut it. He obviously didn't wish to make a fool of himself at a time like this.

"Lets begin, shall we?" She said, stepping forward to take Ash's hand. His palm was sweaty, something she hadn't expected. Was he worried? He probably should've been. She started to count, taking a step back as he led her. "And one-two-three, one-two-three."

He was back to being incredibly stiff. His hand was tight against hers and the one resting against her back was trembling. His gaze peered out beyond her, staring ahead as he led her around the room awkwardly. He was obviously lost in thought, focusing on proving to Professor Oak he was actually doing a good job. As much as Serena hated to admit it, he was doing a nice job. When he actually focused and didn't get so damn tense.

"Remember to stay loose," she said, pausing her counting to offer him the critique.

"I am loose," he replied, his voice tight when not wanting Professor Oak to hear him argue.

She held her ground, trying not to start anything. "Don't argue with me. I think between the two of us, I'm the one who knows best."

He dropped his shoulder and he began to walk a bit calmer, but he'd slowed his pace from her counting. Even if it was faster, maybe music would help him move less stiffly.

"I apologize, Ash," she snapped, twisting her lips. "It seems you were right and we should try this with music." His eyes narrowed at her and he obviously heard the bite behind her words.

"I figured as much."

She pulled away from his shaky hands and made her way to her phone, clicking the button. The gentle classical violins echoed throughout the dance studio. She approached Ash yet again, and stood directly in front him.

"Don't forget your posture," she instructed. With Professor Oak watching, she wanted to be certain he understood how hard she was working with Ash; she was a good teacher. "Your arm should keep me secure, but open enough to move on my own and your shoulders should be down. It's one thing to be precise, but don't be tense."