━━ THIRTY-NINE

[ act iv - peace for those that earned it ]
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
( and so it begins )

[ act iv - peace for those that earned it ]CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE( and so it begins )

     TORSTEN RETURNED TO VINGULMARK A FEW MONTHS AFTER he left. He stayed longer than he had liked, away from the family he had been anxiously wanting to get back too. Night was just beginning to fall as his horse rode past the gate toward the main hall.

A bouquet of small dainty white flowers in his hand. They reminded him of his wife and that was why he picked them. He quickly dismounted his horse, handing the reins to a thrall before he booked it up the many steps of the great hall. He could hear music and laughter coming from the hall before he opened the doors.

Torsten pushed open the doors, hoping to see Althea sitting on her throne but she was not there. His eyes landed on Maximus as he made his way over to him. People bowed and moved out of Torsten's way as he walked.

"King Torsten." Maximus spoke as he stood and bowed slightly. Ubbe and everyone who did not hold a Queen or King title stood and bowed showing their respect before Torsten motioned for them to sit down.

"Maximus, where is my wife?" Torsten asked.

"She is putting the children to bed. She only left a moment ago." Maximus spoke as he sat down, motioning to the hallway by their room behind him.

"Thank you." Torsten nodded and made his way behind the large table they were sitting at, up the three steps that carried him to their room and the hallway.

Torsten's feet carried him down the short hallway before stopping in front of the door. His heart beat heavily in his chest. Anytime he was around or near Althea his heart beat wildly as if it would beat out of his chest. Over the music he could hear the soft singing of her voice, through one of the cracks he could see her. Hakon was already fast asleep as was their daughter.

Aren was wrapped in her arms as she swayed back and forth in front of his cot. "Sleep, sleep my son." She started, her voice as soft as the fur that adorned the collar of his coat. "The seal's asleep in the sea. The swan on the breaker." Her hand came up and her finger ran between the babes brows. "Seagull on the hill. The cod in the deep water, all turn."

He watched as she slowly placed the babe in his cot, "Sleep, sleep I love you." She finished. Her voice was always angelic to listen to especially when she sang. She did not do it often but he loved it when she did.

He watched her check to make sure everyone was asleep before making her way to the door, Torsten panicked as he backpedaled toward the end of the hallway. He did not want to wake their children. He placed the flowers behind his back as he watched her close the door. Her hand rested on it for a moment before she adjusted the shaw that was on her shoulders.

Finally, Althea turned to face him, her eyes toward the wooden floor below them, before she finally looked up. Althea stopped dead in her tracks when her eyes landed on her husband. A bright smile graced her face as she took off toward him quickly. They crashed into each other, both of her arms going around his neck and the arm not behind his back wrapped around her tightly, holding her close.