━━ TWENTY-FIVE

[ act iii - revenge will be sweet ]
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
( his heart grew fonder with distance )

     ALTHEA STOOD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAINING GROUNDS her sword in one hand and her ax in the other, a cloth tied around her eyes

     ALTHEA STOOD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAINING GROUNDS her sword in one hand and her ax in the other, a cloth tied around her eyes. Her hands feeling the leather of both as she gripped them tighter. All was quiet around her. It is said that when one sense is gone the others go into hyperdrive. She could hear the breathing of her opponents, her head turning slightly at the sound, she smirked to herself. Her instincts kicked in as someone charged from behind her.

She sidestepped quickly bringing her ax down and catching them by their ankle using the momentum she pulled causing them to flip and land on their back. A spear was thrown which she dodged with ease turning her body as her sword and ax collided with another who swung his sword from the right.

The sound of metal clashed and she could hear their heaving breathing right in front of her. She threw her head forward hitting him in the nose with her forehead causing him to groan. She took this moment to disarm him, his sword clattering across the ground. But before another could charge the horns in the city sounded.

Althea furrowed her brows as she pulled her blindfold off. They had no ships out today, meaning whoever was here was either friend or foe. And Althea did not have many friends.

"Go, see what it is." Althea spoke motioning for everyone to leave. As she took off toward the great hall. Torsten and Maximus behind her.

All three of them climbed the stairs quickly as Eskel was running out. He stopped when he saw them. His breathing was ragged as if he ran from far away.

"Princess Althea.." Eskel panted. "I-It's King Harald and Prince Ivar with their men that approach." Eskel caught his breath and breathed in and out deeply. "A few hunters saw them enter the mouth of the river. They will be arriving soon."

Althea nodded hearing this, "Send riders to Kattegat to inform Prince Ubbe. Quickly then, we must prepare." She did not know what for but just in case they decided to attack rather than come seeking her help, she had to be ready.

Althea walked inside the great hall, Eskel had gathered the best warriors in the city to the great hall. Althea had changed quickly, a dress now adoring her slender body. Althea grabbed her son's hand and carefully guided him, knowing that he would be safest with her

The best warriors had lined the walkways from the dock straight to the great hall. She walked out of the great hall with her head held high. Torsten and Maximus stood on either side of her, but slightly behind. Rvena was squatting down in front of Maximus but slightly ahead of Althea, her dagger in her hand as the point dug itself into the wood below her. She turned it round and round, causing the wood to splinter.

Porunn had met King Harald and Prince Ivar at the docks before she lead them and a few of their men to the great hall. Althea breathed in deeply seeing Ivar again after all these months. And not a day went by that she did not think of him and what she would do. King Harald's crown adorned his head.